Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat - editing messages

Brian Bryant March 29, 2016

Hi everyone. I know I saw this issue out on HipChat help a couple months ago but the structure of the help and user portal has changed and I can't find it now.

We are on the cusp of making a decision on which group chat tool to use in our company. Several teams have been using free Slack for 6-8 months and they love how easy it is to edit a message. I think HipChat users have been asking for this for a long time, but it the current way to edit a message is pretty much not usable for most users. We want to make HipChat our choice, and we have other constraints that make HipChat desirable. But this editing thing is kind of pain point that we would love to hear how soon this will be part of HipChat.

Thanks!

8 answers

3 votes
Jo Blogs November 25, 2016

End of Nov and still no update? Shame on you HipChat team! This feature should been there since day 1! pfff a chat application where we can't edit messages? Absurd! Get your shit together and implement what we want! We are your customers!

2 votes
lizwinks March 30, 2016

Hi @Brian Bryant, 

Thank you for considering HipChat in your quest for a company chat tool, we would love to work with you! I can assure you that we want to get message editing out as quickly as we can. We know the current s/ solution is not ideal for many users and we're working on making that experience a lot more intuitive. I cannot give you an exact date, but I can tell you that it's being worked on and we will get it out as soon as we can make it available in all of our clients. 

Please let me know if you have any questions. 

Tilikum July 13, 2016

Hello any update on a more user friendly edit option like skype or slack has?

Jamey Graham October 5, 2016

Indeed, what is the status of this topic?  Our installation does not have post editing nor post acknowledgement which are basic requirements for a HipChat style tool in my opinion.  It's very discouraging to see this question posed on March 29, 2016 and here we are in October 2016 and we still can't edit or acknowledge posts.  sad

himynameisjon November 25, 2016

Can we please get an update on this topic? Some of our internal stakeholders are presenting this as a "major blocker" issue for HipChat Server use at our company.

1 vote
Daniel Main August 30, 2017

Edit messages at any time is a Killer Feature, it belongs in every Chat Program.

Having only 30 sec for editing a message is so absurd!

1 vote
Deleted user November 14, 2016
0 votes
Nic Brough -Adaptavist-
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
February 6, 2017

It's not as nice as Skype's up-arrow-and-retype, but HipChat does implement IRC's s/ method.

I posted

> Bother, still can't move my workloads.

s/workloads/work-logs/.

Changed the message to
> Bother, still can't move my work-logs.

0 votes
Brian Bryant March 31, 2016

Hi Liz, I would love to. Please call my mobile. Thank you!

Brian

801-599-8053

0 votes
lizwinks March 31, 2016

Hi @Brian Bryant,

Would you be open to getting on a quick call? I want to make sure you have all the answers you need? 

Thanks!
Liz 

0 votes
Brian Bryant March 30, 2016

Hi Liz. Thank you.

The bane of the PM existence is the incessant "when?" isn't it?

What used to be nice-to-have can so quickly become must-have in software. Slack is pushing the market hard right now, as I'm sure you are aware. I initially thought that we could be fine without the capabilities that I have posted out here, but I'm seeing that the customer doesn't want to be satisfied, they want to be delighted, and right now they are using Slack, which is delighting them.

I need to bring a strong statement to the table very soon. And we are looking at a company wide solution now, not just for our product group so the stakes and costs are going to go up.

If you can provide any time frame it would help as I lead this effort.

Thanks!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events