Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat Text Formatting Guide?

Jeffrey Tanner September 20, 2018

Does HipChat have a formatting guide for text entry, taking for example from what is available on Slack? I tried finding one on Atlassian and I could not find one. If HipChat text formatting is not available, then why not?:

Slack: Format Your Messages

• *bold*
  • `code`
  • _italics_
  • * bullets
  • # enumeration
  • >> quotes

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 25, 2018

Hi there, Jeffrey.

While HipChat formatting is only limited to code block, quote, hexadecimal color as mentioned in the Formatting messages page, Stride offers the formatting that you are looking for. Detailed information is listed in the Format messages:

• To italicize your message, select the message text in the message input field and press  (or ctrl or cmd) + i. You can also add asterisks or underscores around the text, like *amazing*  or _amazing_.
  • To bold your message, select the message text in the message input field and press  (or ctrl or cmd) + b. You can also add two asterisks around the text, like **technology**.
  • To underline your message, select the message text in the message input field and press  (or ctrl or cmd) + u.
  • Paste in some code in the message input field and it will be correctly formatted into a code block for you. You can also enter code manually: type three backticks (```), hit Enter, and then paste in the code.

While not mentioned in the doc specifically, you can use the bullets, enumeration, as well as quotes too via > 

An important notice that I would like you to be aware of is the announcement of our new partnership with Slack which means that we are going to sunset HipChat in the future.

If you have any further questions about this, feel free to ask and I will be happy to help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events