Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat Server 2.4 going to sunset? difference between server and datacenter?

Thomas Burke May 23, 2018

Tasked to install HipChat solution in house so that we keep everything on prem.

We already running Jira/BitBucket/Confluence with postgres back on same box 1-- user or less.  IO assumed Hipchat be a no brainer however documentation has me tad confused.

There doess not appear to be a HipChat "server
" product I can just install on an Ubuntu server for instance along side my other aforementioned Atlassian products. Is this correct?

Also it there a plan to retire the Server edition?

What platform do I need to install server edition.  I only mention server edition because datacenter seems to be cloud based only, yes?

1 answer

1 vote
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 24, 2018

Hi, Thomas.

HipChat Server deployment is broken down to 2 different methods as mentioned in the Deploying Hipchat Server:

• OVA through VMware
  • AMI through AWS (Amazon Web Services)

The OS where HipChat Server was built on refers to Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty, so there is no need to install it on Ubuntu:

admin@hipchat:~$ cat /etc/*release
Atlassian HipChat 2.2.9 (2018.01.23.110010)
DISTRIB_ID=Ubuntu
DISTRIB_RELEASE=14.04
DISTRIB_CODENAME=trusty
DISTRIB_DESCRIPTION="Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS"
NAME="Ubuntu"
VERSION="14.04.4 LTS, Trusty Tahr"
ID=ubuntu
ID_LIKE=debian
PRETTY_NAME="Ubuntu 14.04.4 LTS"
VERSION_ID="14.04"
HOME_URL="http://www.ubuntu.com/"
SUPPORT_URL="http://help.ubuntu.com/"
BUG_REPORT_URL="http://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/" 

I suggest you to go through the official documentation for HipChat Server to understand the process of deployment and let me know if you have any questions along the way.

The official End of Life for HipChat Server specifically is set to be May 30, 2019 as mentioned in the Atlassian Support End of Life Policy, though there is a possibility of extending it to 2020.

On the contrary, HipChat Data Center is actually a behind-the-firewall solution as well. You read on the details from one of the questions answered about the differences between server and data center - What is the difference between Hipchat server vs Hipchat Data Center ?

You might also have the big question as to why we are retiring HipChat Server? This is covered in the FAQ section - Why is Atlassian no longer offering Hipchat Server?

Thomas Burke May 25, 2018

ok thanks for clarifying , I must have misread datacenter was only cloud.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 27, 2018

Hi, Thomas.

You are welcome. Please let me know if you have any other questions and I will be happy to help. Feel free to accept the answer if my explanation helped to answer your question.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events