Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

HipChat Group Admin - Rooms

Jason Hudson September 7, 2018

Two things:

1) is there a way to mass delete a number of archived rooms?

2) why are end users able to unarchive their archived rooms?  Backstory: I archived a particular team room, changed permissions to allow only admins to create rooms, that person didn't like that I archived their room and unarchived it themselves.  Is the only way to delete the room?

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 9, 2018

Hi, Jason.

Allow me to answer the questions that you have here:

1. HipChat does not have a feature to delete rooms in bulk, which includes archived rooms too. Unless you are running on HipChat Server, this may be possible through database query.
  2. Can I please confirm if the user that unarchived the room actually is the owner of the room which was still administering the room? Additionally, was there any specific reason as to why the room was archived and the owner was not fond of it?

If it is really necessary to remove the rooms completely, we suggest you to export the chat history of the private rooms for archiving purposes before deleting the rooms.

Jason Hudson September 10, 2018

The user that unarchived the room is the owner of the room and was still administering the room.  I guess that makes sense that the owner would have that capability.

The reasoning is unimportant to the conversation; internal policy shifts would sum it up nicely.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 10, 2018

Hi, Jason.

Understood. In this case, I would suggest you to consider the option of exporting the chat history of the private rooms (we don't have a method to export a single room history as you can see from the https://hipchat/admin/exportV2 page).

As the HipChat administrator, you can also consider removing the user from the administrator list under the Room Permissions and the user should no longer have the ability to unarchive the room. Give it a try and let me know how it goes.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events