HipChat Data Center Couldn't load HipChat when try to open chat in browser

Felipe Barros February 2, 2018

When try to load chat via browser https://myhipchatserver.com/chat it shows the message below:

HipChatErrorMessage.png

I had a look in HipChat logs but I couldn't find any specific error, algo tried to follow some troubleshooting guide for HipChat server but it's different of DataCenter version. 

Could anyone please help? 

Thanks in advance 

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 18, 2018

Hey Filipe,

Not much to go on, but my suggestions would be to view the network calls being made by the page and see if there's any insights they may give. If using Chrome, View > Developer > Developer Tools, then the network tab.  Below is what ours looks like (Server, but provide the same for your DC install and it might give useful info).

Screen Shot 2018-02-18 at 8.47.54 PM.png

Also worth checking that the SSL cert is all OK at sslshopper.com/ssl-checker.html

A few other questions:

- can you login using iOS/Android apps?

- do you get anything (if so, what) when going to https://myhipchatserver.com/ ?

CCM

Felipe Barros February 19, 2018

Hi Craig, Thanks for your answer I got it working, the problema was the FQDN I run the command: 

PGPASSWORD=$(cat /hipchat/config/site.json | jq -r '.databases.hipchat_postgres.pass') psql -h $(cat /hipchat/config/site.json | jq -r '.databases.hipchat_postgres.servers[0]' | awk -F: '{print $1}') -U $(cat /hipchat/config/site.json | jq -r '.databases.hipchat_postgres.user') -d $(cat /hipchat/config/site.json | jq -r '.databases.hipchat_postgres.schema')

after get access I run the query:

select * FROM configurations;

after I see that the FQDN was wrong I insert the right one in the database and everything started to work. 

Thanks again. 

Best Regards 

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 19, 2018

Glad to hear it’s all working!

unsure if the below would work, but if anyone else stumbles on this with a similar issue in the future, you should be able to change the hostname using the admin UI (which I believe works even with the wrong hostname set). 

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hc/configuring-hipchat-server-608731851.html#ConfiguringHipchatServer-fqdn

CCM 

Felipe Barros February 19, 2018

Tks Craig just for future referente this doesn't work with Datacenter version. 

Noni Khutane February 21, 2018

Hi Fellipe 

The previous answer that worked for you. Where do you run the commands?

Felipe Barros February 21, 2018

Hi, Noni. 

Yes, I run opened the developer tools and saw the request was going to wrong address than I run the commands above to change de FQDN. I'm using HipChat DataCenter.

Noni Khutane February 21, 2018

Hi thanks for your reply. I'm also using hipchat datacenter. The PGPassword.... command do you run that on the database as well ? Or on the hipchat server 

Felipe Barros February 21, 2018

Hi Noni, you have to logon in on node (any node) and after get root access you run the PGPassword... command in the console, after execute it you will be in the database, so just run the query

select * FROM configurations;

hope it helps 

Craig Castle-Mead
Rising Star
Rising Star
February 24, 2018

Hey @Hey @Felipe Barros - your DC specific information just helped me out with the same issue, but a bit of extra detail.

I'd installed a clean DC install, then imported an export from HipChat server and had the same type of error (webui and app wouldn't connect). The network traffic on the web-ui showed errors for http-bind

Figuring it was hostname related, I did some digging (checked /etc/hosts setup was correct) and then came back to this thread.

Possibly cause I didn't run /setup/ on a clean install but instead did an import though, my configurations table in psql didn't have a hostname.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/how-to-update-the-base-url-fqdn-of-hipchat-data-center-945548852.html showed what the key should be through (fqdn) and just adding this for next time, if you don't have a fqdn value in the database.

So, if you log in to psql and run:

select * from configurations WHERE key = 'fqdn';

If this returns 1 row (and the value isn't the hostname you've pointed at your load balancer), then you want to run

UPDATE configurations SET value = 'hipchat.example.com' WHERE key = 'fqdn';

If you get 0 rows returned, run:

INSERT into configurations VALUES ('fqdn','hipchat.example.com');

Then run this on all nodes

hipchat datacenter restart 

CCM

Felipe Barros February 28, 2018

Hi Craig happy to hear it. :) 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events