Hip chat occasionally loses connection, restart, works fine.

I'm working with macs and we have a local server for our hip chat.

We've had several users get a "cannot connect" error.

In the error logs, I see "Strophe connection failed with message: Connection Failure Error 5+ failure attempts to reestablish connection.

Also noticed this error relating to Hipchat.

NSURLSessions/NSURLConnection HTTP load failed

2 answers

No answer for you, but I have exactly the same problem. HipChat app and web work fine; desktop (32-bit for PC) just randomly drops connection and cannot reconnect.

We are getting same errors on both mac and windows with on-premise HipChat server and 4.0.8 HipChat clients.

"NSURLSession/NSURLConnection HTTP load failed (kCFStreamErrorDomainSSL, -9802)"

After 10minutes (exactly 600 seconds) clients can connect.

Note: using the ip address of the HipChat server works all the time, but the client refuses to connect via ip because of name mismatch on SSL cert hosted on HipChat server. The web client always works too, it is only HipChat thick client to HipChat on-premise server.

Tests:

1. name resolution to the HipChat server from the client (using iterm) resolves correctly
  2. netcat to hipchat.onpremise.com:443 works
  3. connecting using web app works
  4. connecting using ip address works
  5. connecting using thick client to friendly name (hipchat.onpremise.com) - fails for 10 minutes

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

506 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you