Hip Chat Flashes Login & Closes

So I've installed on a bunch of Windows 7 Pro machines and they all work great except one.  I successfully installed the desktop client and when I open it, the login screen flashes and closes immediately.  It's not under processes in the task manager either. Any suggestions?  THX!

4 answers

Hi Elliot,

Can you enable logging (you could create a shortcut with --logtofile option) from the client and raise an issue to us at https://support.atlassian.com/ so we can investigate this further?

Thanks.

The problem is the login screen flashes and goes away right away so I don't have the ability to make this happen.

Yes, I realised that. You can use a 'logtofile' option for that (when the app fails to open): This will create a hipchatlog.txt in the running directory specified by the shortcut. - Create a shortcut for HipChat on your desktop - Right-click on the HipChat shortcut and choose Properties - In the "Target" field add --logtofile after the last quote - it should look similar to: "c:\<...>\<...>\hipchat.exe" --logtofile - Try opening HipChat again - Copy the log that shows up in the specified directory and attach it to a support ticket, along with the crash dump (the file would be something like this: C:/Users/<user-windows-account>/AppData/Local/Temp/xxxxx-xxx-xxx-xxxx-xxxx.dmp?)

0 vote

Hi Elliot, 

The first suggestion that I would give you would be to raise a new ticket with the HipChat team in our support channel: https://support.atlassian.com.

However, some good tests to do would be the following:

1. As you are using the desktop version, have you already tried to uninstall it and install again to see how it goes? Perhaps some information got corrupted.
  2. Check if the Web version would at least allow you to login.
  3. As it's happening only with one machine, can you try to change the user logged in or/and check how it goes with the system administrator?

Just some tips! smile

Cheers, 

Giu

When I try to create the logotofile in the target area it tells me the file name is not valid?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

142 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you