Group chat without creating a room for it?

I am looking for a basic feature which many chat tools have, like Slack or Skype: The ability to chat with several people in a group without creating a room for that purpose.

Slack-Example: https://get.slack.help/hc/en-us/articles/212281468-Direct-messages-and-group-DMs

Does HipChat have this feature? If not, is it planned to be implemented?

1 answer

1 accepted

This widget could not be displayed.

We don't currently have this feature, although we agree it's something many of us have wanted internally as well! It's definitely something we're looking into implementing.

We don't yet have a particular timeframe for adding it, but you can watch and vote on the public suggestion at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-431 and be notified of any updates or changes to the status of the feature.

Hi Atlassian/Chris, 

Any update on this, even to say that its has not bubbled up to be considered yet?

The related featured suggestion (for HipChat) that you suggested have not had much attention. 

As a linked suggestion stated, people are using other platforms on the side so they can have group chats without creating rooms. Surely this is a threat to a goal of the product.

Thanks for you time,

Ben

Suggest an answer

Atlassian Summit 2018

Meet the community IRL

Atlassian Summit is an excellent opportunity for in-person support, training, and networking.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Friday in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

140 views 1 9
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you