My international team and I are really blown away by this platform...it is just what we needed.  I do, however, have one shamefully simple question:  How can I send a chat message to all of my registered members in all of the rooms?

2 answers

You can do things like this through automation using HipChat Command Line Interface (CLI). For instance:

hipchat --action runFromRoomList --common "--action sendMessage --room \"@room@\" --message \"My message to all rooms.\" "

This used the sendMessage action to send messages to rooms. Or with some scripting, you could use the sendPrivateMessage to send to individual users.

And the CLI also automatically handles the rate limit problem.

0 vote

@Gilbert Brenson Lazan as stated you need to get all the rooms and post a message in each room.

We don't allow sending one message to all the rooms cause it can be considered as spam.

But be careful that depending on the amount of rooms you could reach your rate limit

More info here:

https://www.hipchat.com/docs/apiv2/rate_limiting

You can always check the headers in every call and verify that you are not exceeding the rate limit and maybe wait a bit after each call.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Mar 26, 2018 in Hipchat Data Center

Migration of Hipchat server to Data Center - a retrospective

...able to use the clients After a bunch of testing (rooms, memberships, check for private message history, and most importantly - the custom emoticons!) nearly everything was looking as we needed, however...

453 views 2 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you