Filter to only show online users in Hipchat

The latest version of Hipchat seems to have removed one of the best functions of the old version where you could filter to show online users at the top of the list in the Lobby.  Now you cant.

In large orgs such as mine, this is a challenge.

Is there any way to filter users by status?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 vote

Unfortunately, there isn't a way in the current version of the OS X client to sort by status in the Lobby - everything in that view is sorted alphabetically.

As a large org ourselves (here at Atlassian), we've found that using the "New chat" button (CMD+N) is much faster than going to the lobby to perform most actions.

Well, that's a pretty big oversight in this version. It was available in the previous version, and should be brought back. There's no value in an alphabetical list of folks in the organization. You should be able to filter to just the folks that are online. Or have them sorted to the top.

I agree. Big shortcoming of a good app. Every chat client I've ever used allowed me to hide logged-off users. When I'm in a room for a hot issue, the last thing I care about is who isn't there to help. Please fix this.

We're evaluating HipChat to see if we should buy a site license.  Has this been fixed yet?

Seeing a list of online users on our teams is critical (and a function of every enterprise IM system I've ever used, including AIM, ICQ, Lync, and Yahoo).

A massive alphabetic list of every account is useless, especially when we have to click page after page and scan for the tiny colored dots to see who's online.  Is this clutter all HipChat can provide?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Mar 26, 2018 in Hipchat Data Center

Migration of Hipchat server to Data Center - a retrospective

...able to use the clients After a bunch of testing (rooms, memberships, check for private message history, and most importantly - the custom emoticons!) nearly everything was looking as we needed, however...

448 views 2 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you