Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

File mapping structure

Erik Bouwens March 2, 2016

Hello,

My company is very enthousiastic about hipchat. Only we missing an accessable way to share files in mapping structure. We would like to make and share a small database in HipChat to share knoledge with all my colleagues who works trough all country. Sending files in the chatboxes of HipChat is nice, but not satisfying for sharing a small database. Is it possible in HipChat to do? If yes, in what way?

Thank you,
Erik Bouwens
Seven Oaks
The Netherlands 

4 answers

0 votes
Erik Bouwens March 6, 2016

Hey,

Claudio is saw indeed. We are trying it now, but it looks not perfect to me. Pinning also not, course we just want direct acces to whole the (small) database. Claudio gives a direct link to a shared map. This i like. Only for not advanced computer users it is implemented in HipChat in not so user friendly way. Better would be if there is just a direct link in th menu somewhere.

0 votes
Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 3, 2016

Hi Erik,

thanks for describing your usecase. Sounds like a reasonably common scenario and the functionality that would benefit quite a few people. Do you use anything shared for storing files right now? Dropbox, google drive, google docs?

We are actually working with some add-on developers who are looking into covering similar usecases. Cloudo integration for example allows you to search your cloud stored files. Not exactly what you need but can still be useful. We are also thinking of use cases where you can 'pin' files to rooms so that they are always visible and accessable – that would be something more useful for you right? 

0 votes
Erik Bouwens March 2, 2016

We are not an IT company but a agency for building companys. Our people work at diffrent companies arround the country. We want more communication between our 30 employees and share our knowlege. HipChat is very accesable and user friendly, also for people who not knows much of computers. We can have group and private chats and can share files and links here. Billboards and polls are also option. This all is perfect. Only we miss is  files sharing in mapping structure. For our (small) use it is not an option to pay $200,- every month for confluence. We don't have te knowlegde to write our own integration. It would be also good to link for example onedrive, i saw it at the integrations, but i was not able so far to get it working (problems with google account). So i was wondering or there other options also, with low pricing and very accesable and user friendly like HipChat, just to communicate and share effectively with my colleaques.

Thank you

0 votes
Samuel Le Berrigaud
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 2, 2016

Hi Erik,

to be honest I'm not entirely sure I fully understand what you're trying to achieve with HipChat.

However depending on how what your database looks like here are 2 things I think might help:

1. why not simply use Confluence with HipChat. In confluence you can manage your information the way you like and you need. And linking Confluence with HipChat using their integration you can easily share links and know when documents are updated within HipChat rooms.
  2. if Confluence does not work for you or the information is already in a database you share with your colleagues, maybe building your own integration is what you need. There you'll be able to send notifications and messages to rooms. Display information in any way that make sense using glances, webpanels or even dialogs.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events