Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

External email domains - any access limitations?

Mark Schmidt November 15, 2015

I assume HipChat is like Yammer, Slack etc where users are restricted to the domain of the organisation—but this doesn't work for us. Is this correct, because I've just set up a free account and invited my gmail and other personal addresses... they seem to work!

So I'd like to understand if there are restrictions or limitations to inviting non-company-email-domain users into our teams/rooms... Eg, Slack allows only 5 'external' users per paid account. But if our organisation is distributed with few 'proper' corporate email accounts, (and 90% of staff have their own business accounts) is it possible to pull them all together with HipChat, so they can communicate? View us as highly outsourced!

Hope that makes sense. Thanks,

Mark

2 answers

2 votes
Samuel Le Berrigaud
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 15, 2015

HipChat doesn't (by default) limit your email domains, so you can invite users with any email domain you like.

There is however an option available to administrator to constrain email domain to one or more accepted domains. 

So I'm guessing either one would work for you. If you want to make sure people use HipChat with their corporate emails (whatever domain it used) simply enable that option in the administration panel and list the valid domains.

You can obviously let people sign up with any domain as well...

0 votes
Dugald Morrow
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 16, 2015

In addition to Samuel's answer, we may be introducing a feature called 'Domain Restricted Signup' to HipChat. This allows new users to signup and join existing groups by matching the domain part of the new user's email address with the DRS enabled domains of the group. This feature does not allow public email domains such as gmail.com to be enabled.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events