Errors Connecting Hipchat to Windows AD

I'm trying to get HipChat to connect to Windows Active Directory. 

The default user schema filter is: (&(objectCategory=Person)(SamAccountName=*)) and username attribute is: SamAccountName

The problem is when I do the configuration tests if I enter a username of the form user@domain.com it says the user does not exist, but if I enter just the username I get the following error:

type Status report

message Handler processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.crowd.search.builder.QueryBuilder.createMembershipQuery(IIZLcom/atlassian/crowd/search/EntityDescriptor;Ljava/lang/Class;Lcom/atlassian/crowd/search/EntityDescriptor;Ljava/lang/String;)Lcom/atlassian/crowd/search/query/membership/MembershipQuery;

description The server encountered an internal error that prevented it from fulfilling this request.

I tried changing the filter to  (&(objectCategory=Person)(UserPrincipalName=*)) and username attribute to UserPrincipalName, which is the AD property that actually holds a value like the email address, but when I do that then I get the above error no matter what I type for username in the login test.

Ideally I think that SamAccountName should work as a filter if I am able to type regular user names into the login box, but this error is preventing me from doing that. 

Any ideas? 

Thanks,

Bill

4 answers

The default connection test gets me the first green check that it connects, nothing thereafter. 

It looks to me like AD Authentication is failing completely. Is there anywhere I can download a previous build where I can verify that this is working properly? 

Without the AD Testing, and since I don't have the new user invite emails working yet, it's hard to have confidence that any of this is working properly with actual AD users and not just internal HipChat user accounts. Having never seen what this looks like when it's working properly I don't know if ANY of it is working right.

Hi Bill, I'll be replying to your inquiries via the email you sent to us :)

We're evaluating HipChat and are experiencing the same issue.  Are detailed expanination and link to the appropraite defect would be helpful.

Thanks, James.

Hi Bill,

Are you on HipChat Server build 1.2.8? We have a bug where test remote directory connection using user accounts failed with this error in build 1.2.8. Our developers are already looking into this matter.

Unfortunately there's no workaround available specific to this issue but you can still test directory connection without specific user credential by editing the directory and click "Test Settings". Does this default connection test working for you and your AD able to connect successfully with HipChat Server? If not, we can review the following logs for more info which you can email to server-support@hipchat.com:

• /var/log/hipchat/atlassian-crowd.log
  • /var/log/hipchat/coral.log

Any update on this? I'm trying to deploy HipChat Server 1.2.8 and getting the lovely {{Handler processing failed; nested exception is java.lang.NoSuchMethodError: com.atlassian.crowd.search.builder.QueryBuilder.createMembershipQuery(IIZLcom/atlassian/crowd/search/EntityDescriptor;Ljava/lang/Class;Lcom/atlassian/crowd/search/EntityDescriptor;Ljava/lang/String;)Lcom/atlassian/crowd/search/query/membership/MembershipQuery;}} when trying to test the directory. However the integration seems to be working otherwise.

A link to a bug that I can watch would be super helpful.

I just wanted to followup and post the answer to this thread. 

The he problem turned out to be the Base User OU was not narrow enough. In that OU was a security with a name that the AD integration didn't like. It may have been the underscore in the name, but I don't know for sure. 

When I set the base OU to a group that really only had users in it the users then populated correctly. 

Thanks very much to Hanis for his help via email. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

506 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you