Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Emails while logged in for @mentions

Ryan Anderson April 5, 2018

I would like to get emails in addition to being notified via HipChat when I'm logged in and someone @mentions me. I believe that Hipchat used to function this way and it currently does this for private messages. Does anyone know of a way to force this to happen without changing my status? Thanks.

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchat/get-teammates-attention-744328217.html

2 answers

1 vote
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Hi, Ryan.

The email notifications will only be triggered when you are offline / away / idle for the scenarios listed in /account/notifications page. No known ways of forcing it to happen since it is based on your status.

Is it possible for you to share the reason why you would like to have email delivered for your @mention even when you are online? Is it for reference / auditing purposes to determine the number of times when you are mentioned in a room? I am just interested to understand the use case better.

Ryan Anderson April 6, 2018

We work in two week cycles and create a new channel for every release. The current release channel is a very active channel and has hundreds of messages a day going through it. Many times managers will walk away from their machine for meetings, or to speak with personnel and not change the status in HipChat. When they return the app will alert them that a message is awaiting their response.   However, if a personal IM is present and the manager checks that first the app will not continue notifying them that there is an @mention somewhere else which requires attention. Scrolling through the hundreds of messages on the release channel or clicking through the other channels just to see if you were @mentioned can sometimes feel daunting. However, if an email was sent showing that @mention we could ensure that these are not missed and that prompt responses are made.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2018

Hi, Ryan.

That is an interesting scenario. While the email notification is primarily used to notify users who are not active on their client, can we try to reduce the idle period so that it will kick in faster? I tested on my end and 1 minute seems pretty fast to have the status switched to Idle and allow me to receive email notifications when I get @mentioned in a room / 1-1 messages. Can you give it a try on your end?

Ryan Anderson April 9, 2018

That's a good idea. I will ask a few users to make this change and see if it satisfies the request. Thanks!

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
April 9, 2018

You are most welcome. Let me know how it goes!

0 votes
Ryan Anderson April 6, 2018

David Maye
Atlassian Team
April 11, 2018

Hey Ryan,

Just checking in to see if Ahmad's answer helped? If so, please accept it.

Cheers,
-David
HipChat Server/Data Center Support Engineer | Atlassian

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events