Yes, due to currently using an external provider for its video capabilities, HipChat Server still requires some internet connectivity for video as outlined in the HipChat Server FAQs, see Does HipChat Server need outbound internet access?:
HipChat Server uses outbound internet access for the following reasons:
- Fetching upgrade information from Atlassian
- Fetching integration listings from the Atlassian Marketplace
- Routing video traffic through our Cloud video server
- Sending mobile notifications for Android and IOS devices
This is further confirmed in the referenced System Requirements, see Outbound TCP Ports:
- Chat client systems must meet AddLive's connectivity requirements for video and screen sharing
I would hope that this might change some day due to Atlassian's recent acquisition of Blue Jimp & Jitsi.org, however, I'm not aware of any roadmap details in this regard.
All good things come to an end - thanks to all our customers and partners who have been along the Hipchat and Stride journey with us. As of Feb 15th 2019, Hipchat Cloud and Stride have reached ...
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!Find an event
Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!
Unfortunately there are no Community Events near you at the moment.Host an event