Does the upgrade to an Atlassian account affect users that login to a web account via a PC application?

1 answer

0 votes

Yes - the upgrade to Atlassian account will also affect logins for the desktop apps. As long as you have a relatively recent version of the app (4.29 is the latest) then you should be automatically upgraded whether you log in via the web or via the desktop app.

What will happen if an older version of the desktop software is being used? Will the users need to go through a transition at the HipChat cloud site when logging in?

@Adam Stanbery Older versions of the client may not trigger the migration, but logging into the web will allow you to upgrade to use Atlassian Account. After upgrading, you should be able to use your Atlassian Account credentials to login to the desktop client.

All of our users are using an older version of the desktop application. Only because it uses less ram than the newer ones. Will they then have to login to the web to continue using the desktop application after the transition?

For the immediate future, the transition won't require old clients to upgrade to Atlassian Account. They can still use their regular email and password. At some point in the future, however, the upgrade will become required and users will have to log into the web to set their password in order to continue using the clients. The clients themselves should continue functioning as normal after the upgrade is completed though.

Is there any timeline for requiring old clients to upgrade to an Atlassian account? Or will I be informed before the change? This way I can let my users know when to expect it and what they will need to do.

We don't have a hard timeline, but the forced migration process likely wouldn't happen for at least a few months. Depending on exactly how old the client is, it's possible that it might not require any action on the part of users (we've changed behind-the-scenes authentication methods a couple times in the past few years). In the worst case, users might get a "bad password" error and need to reset their password on the web to get back to chatting. As usual though, we definitely recommend updating to the latest version of the client to have the latest security updates and features.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

490 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you