Does HipChat support tags?

I intend to use HipChat (also) as a leightweight info sharing system of info snippets that have a relatively short lifespan, i.e. where tracking in JIRA or Confluence is overkill and too time consuming.

Example: People working in turn on a set of documents. When I find an error in some document that I am not allowed to modify in content, I'd like to post my finding like so:

11:15  Document #mydoc1 has a #structure error in exhibit ref 2

and some time later

13:04 #mydoc1 also uses the wrong font #layout

Now, someone else in the room would at 16:40 start processing mydoc1 and would like to check if someone has already found errors in them, so they would filter their room messages by tag #mydoc1 and additionally e.g. by #structure, if they are only interested in found structure errors (but not #layout errors).

Is this possible in HipChat?

1 answer

0 votes

HipChat doesn't currently support tags like you described, but you could try implementing it in an ad-hoc fashion via search. For example, search for "#mydoc1" using the search box in the upper right of the client will give you all the previous messages in the room that have that text in it.

Making tags a more "first class" concept is something that's been on our plate of potential improvements for a while but hasn't yet made it to our actual roadmap. You can check out a user-filed suggestion at https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-449 and watch/vote/comment on it to receive updates about any changes in progress. 

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

510 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you