Does HipChat Server (self-hosted) have data retention policy controls?

Eg, can I self-host HipChat and create a policy to automatically delete or archive all messages over some age like 60 or 90 days?

5 answers

There's a default and per-room retention setting

• Store all
  • Store none
  • Store by age: 7, 14, 30, 60, 90, 180, 365 days

1:1 chats are not automatically purged.

Note that these retention options differ between HipChat Server and HipChat Cloud (hipchat.com).

Will DeHaan

Atlassian

I will go with mr Will option, using the build in is the most recommended, you sir have my like :).

Short answer, Nope smile.

If you will only create a procedure in the application server to swipe older files or a database job then you have nothing to worry about.

Now if you want to customize the hipchat code to have that feature atlassian is pretty open about working on the code of their products (same goes for Confluence, JIRA and the rest of the party):

https://www.atlassian.com/legal/third-party-code

https://www.atlassian.com/legal/third-party-code

information As long you don't re brand it and re sell everything is fine cheeky

The only thing that atlassian will no do is to support customizations, if you change the hipchat code and break something you will not be able to reach their support for help on fixing that (you will need to fix that on your own or reach a atlassian expert).

Thanks and Regards,
Lavitz - the guy that uses Confluence on Windows as a Hobby!

I can't confirm for sure, but from my experience with the atlassian suit I don't believe deleting those would be harmful.

This kind of data is dynamic and if removing that would cause harm to hipchat I'm pretty sure that atlassian would store it into the database and not in the file system smile.

A simple test, just for confirmation, would be to set up a test installation, chat a couple lines and then just remove the files.

You could also raise a support ticket and also get confirmation from one of the atlassian hip chat engineers as well:

https://support.atlassian.com/servicedesk/customer/portal/31

Thanks and Regards,
Lavitz - the guy that uses Confluence on Windows as a Hobby!

Ok thank you, so deleting with a cron job the chat files from the /chat_history folder over N days old won't break HipChat in any way?

Please use the built-in retention controls if possible.

Thanks Will, much appreciated.  Is there any documentation showing the difference in retention options between Server and Cloud?

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Mar 26, 2018 in Hipchat Data Center

Migration of Hipchat server to Data Center - a retrospective

...able to use the clients After a bunch of testing (rooms, memberships, check for private message history, and most importantly - the custom emoticons!) nearly everything was looking as we needed, however...

440 views 2 6
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you