Disallow sending message from HipChat

We would like to be able to disallow the use of HipChat for chat rooms that are not configured/linked with at least one Bitbucket repository.

Could such a thing be done with some custom coding or maybe with some configuration options.

Many thanks for clarifying this

Patrick Vanbrabant

2 answers

This widget could not be displayed.

Currently, it's not possible to prevent chatting in a room unless that room is archived (or deleted entirely). I don't believe there's any way for one addon to see what other integrations are installed in a room (for privacy/security reasons), which is what would probably be needed in order to get the behavior you're looking for.

One option if you're looking for finer control over room creation is to restrict it to admins-only, which can be done via hipchat.com/admin/preferences. Then you could have admins ensure that any rooms created have at least Bitbucket repo connected to them (although still a manual process, unfortunately).

Hi Christopher,

Many thanks for that answer. The manual process is of course always possible. I was more hoping for a more automated way.

We do not want to restrict the creation of a HipChat room to only admins. It would create a big bottleneck

I'm thinking if it would be possible using java or rest API, to query all Bitbucket Repositories and see if they are linked up with a HipChat room.

Then we could run some scheduled job, to check if for each of the HipChat rooms, there is a Bitbucket repository for which this HipChat room was specified.

I looked for this in the documentation, but could not find something directly.

Do you have any thoughts links

Many thanks

Patrick

I'm less familiar with the Bitbucket API, so I'm not sure whether it provides a way to determine whether what room(s) a given repository is connected with. After a quick glance through the docs, perhaps something like https://confluence.atlassian.com/bitbucket/consumers-resource-296093099.html might be a good place to start. 

If it turns out that you can determine HC/BB connection, then you might need to filter through all of your HipChat rooms by name in order to figure out which room is associated with Bitbucket.

This widget could not be displayed.

Hi Christopher,

Many thanks for your answer.

I was thinking in that direction.

I will need to do some further researching for BitBucket,

Patrick

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

421 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you