Delete Room Messages Through API

Is there anyway to delete room messages through the API? I know that it can be done manually by clicking on the room history and then deleting. However, this is a cumbersome process and it would be great to be able to do it through the API.

3 answers

0 vote

Unfortunately, the API doesn't provide a way to programmatically delete history. Like you mentioned, the best alternative is to use the room history view and clicking manually.  If you wish to permanently remove larger amounts of history (e.g. an entire room or the entire group), please contact our support team at and they should be able to help you out.

@Christopher Rivers: Hi. Does deleting a room destroy its history?  I need to get some stuff out of history and it won't display in the web client (too old, I guess).  I'd be happy to just delete the rooms involved and recreate them, as long as that measure would lead to a deletion of history. 

Thank you!

Also, +1 vote from me for programmatic deletion capability. Would be very very very helpful.

Deleting the room doesn't fully delete history (we keep history around to handle accidental deletions). However, is does prevent viewing that history, which might provide essentially what you're looking for.

If you want to fully remove the history from the room (with no ability to undelete), the best bet is to contact support.

Thank you, Christopher.  What I'm really after is getting attachments stored in S3 permanently out of S3.  We have not disabled attachments, because we allow images (for screenshots, etc.), but some users have posted other attachments.  Unfortunately, some of the posts no longer are accessible for deletion (time has passed).  So I'd be happy to delete a room and start it over, if that would guarantee that the S3 attachments are gone.

There is no way, currently (10/9/2017).  But you can upvote this suggestion to let Atlassian know that you (and many others) are interested.  I'm posting this, because the suggestion has received few upvotes, despite real interest in the feature (as evidenced by googling around):

Lack of this feature causes compliance nightmares.

Also: Slack's got this.  :-].  They are "compliance aware", as it were.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Published Oct 07, 2017 in Hipchat

Bringing Structure to your HipChat Instance

...have mention name FirstnameLastname. Fe.: @MaartenCautreels This certainly helps to know who is being mentioned in a conversation. Imagine your colleague sends the following message...

467 views 1 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot