Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Changing History Retention (global vs. rooms)

Ken Weary July 25, 2018

My company will soon be changing our global History Retention from Store All History to store last 30 days BUT we want some rooms to maintain their history and be exempt from the 30 day retention.

If I go into these rooms and select their History Retention to be Store All History instead of Use group default before I change the global setting will the chat history in these rooms be protected from the automated deletion? Thanks.

1 answer

0 votes
AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 25, 2018

Hi, Jen.

Sure thing. You can configure explicitly the history retention of each room under https://<fqdn>/admin/rooms/retention/<room_id> according to your preference. As you can see in the screen shots below:

I set my default global history retention to 30 days

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 10.26.10.png

However, I specified the history retention to be n a specific room to Store all history instead:

Screen Shot 2018-07-26 at 10.31.04.png

Go ahead and give it a try! Let me know how it goes on your end.

Ken Weary July 27, 2018

Just to confirm if I perform the following steps:

1. Go to the individual rooms I want to keep chat history and change History retention to "Store all history"

And then...

2. Go to Group admin/Preferences/Messages/History retention/Store messages by age/Store last 30 days and click Save

The chat history opted for in step 1 will still be protected? Is this accurate?

Thanks.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 29, 2018

Hi there, Ken.

You are welcome. Yes, that should be the case. Make that you save the settings for each room before changing the global preference to set it to only 30 days. The history retention of those individual rooms will be retained.

Additionally, I suggest you to consider exporting chat history as an alternative if you are planning to archive rooms in the future.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events