Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cannot access HipChat in Linux

Eric Siegel May 14, 2017

I use ArchLinux on my laptop and in my office, I cannot aceess Hipchat (via the app and Chrome).  The site just does not load.

The odd thing, is that at my house, HipChat works!  The more odd thing is that in Windows, HipChat works in my office!

I have no idea what is going on nor does the office's IT staff (I've been working with them on this issue).  Is there anything that people can think of or anyone I can contact to try to fix this?

I am going to reinstall Linux and see if that is a solution.

1 answer

0 votes
AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2017

I am sorry to hear you are resorting to reinstalling your OS. I understand you cannot connect to the HC web interface on Chrome or via the desktop application, but it works at your house. I wonder if there is a firewall or other device blocking port 443? One resource to check out is the HipChat client logs on your machine: https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/sending-linux-client-logs-to-support-813695956.html

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 15, 2017

It looks like ports 5222 and 5223 have to be open as well:

Unable to sign in to the HipChat desktop app

Eric Siegel May 16, 2017

I opened the app using `hipchat4 > hipchat.txt` and proceded to try to login.  I was able to enter my username, but after clicking next, I waited a while and got a "ERR_EMPTY_RESPONSE" message.

Here is the log: https://pastebin.com/wUV6V0dM

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2017

Thanks for the log, I did not find a smoking gun. While I get a second opinion, could you let me know if the telnet worked as described in Unable to sign in to the HipChat desktop app?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
May 16, 2017

The HipChat support team suggested that you try with a different browser, and/or clear your Chrome cache and cookies. I realize the HC client is also unable to connect but it's worth trying.

Has your network team seen this: Networking Requirements ?

Sometimes the dev tools in Chrome (networking tab) can give a clue as to where the request is timing out.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events