Can't reset password on Hipchat server.

I can't log into HipChat server. Consistently get "Invalid email and/or password" message. Password reset does not work.

1 answer

Hi Michael,

Sounds like an email relay host hasn't been setup on your HipChat Server.

See: https://confluence.atlassian.com/hc/configuring-hipchat-server-608731851.html#ConfiguringHipChatServer-limitfiltering

And if your admin can't login to the web UI the same can be configured at the HCS command line: hipchat email

No. that is not the case. The email relay works just fine.

• I can use the "Forgot password" link.
  • I receive the HipChat password reset email.
  • I use the link in the email and reset my password.
  • I get a "New password saved! Please sign in" confirmation.
  • When I attempt to sign in again with my email address and my new password, I still get the "Invalid email and/or password" message.

I am effectively locked out of my HipChat server. 

We use Crowd as the user directory for HipChat.

This problem affects the default user account created by the HipChat installation as well as user accounts provisioned through crowd.

Ok from the command line you can change the email address to a non-Crowd address, then reset password and that will work:

hipchat email --reset-owner=notacrowduser@example.com

User accounts associated with a Crowd account will authenticate via your directory service only.

When I change the email address, do I also need to reset the password? How do I do that? Is there a problem with resetting HipChat passwords if the accounts were provisioned via Crowd?

We have already attempted the "hipchat service --reset-owner=notacrowduser@example.com" command to reset the default administrator password. This did not work.

This command is different than the "hipchat email --reset-owner=" command you offered, so we can try again.

Password reset only works for users that are fully local to Hipchat, indeed. So if you change the owner email to a non-Crowd account you will be able to reset the password and login.

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

116 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you