Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can I install and run HipChat Server from the command line (without X11)?

Murph December 26, 2016

I'm running Ubuntu 14 and trying to figure out how to install HipChat server to it from a command line without X11.  The docs fail to mention how to do this (without X11).

3 answers

0 votes
Jonas Andersson
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
December 30, 2016

The HipChat server (that is the server itself) does not need a x-server. It's installed as a OVA, and while deploying it i never saw it go into a graphical user interface, all administration was done on the CLI. Where do you see a need for X windows forwarding?

Murph December 30, 2016

VirtualBox itself.  I wasn't sure how to start VB with the hipchat.ova and proceed thru the install without needing X.  It'd be nice if the instructions for installing HipChat included this nugget of info.  It sure would've made my life a little easier during the install. 

0 votes
Murph December 27, 2016

np.  I got it installed.  Had to install XQuartz on my Mac and figure out how to export my DISPLAY from my headless Ubunut server to the Mac, but once I got that, it was a simple matter to kick off the install from VirtualBox.

It sure would be nice if all Atlassian products were as simple to install and as easy to configure as Confluence and Jira.   But it's all good, as they say.  

0 votes
M.Rey
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
December 27, 2016

Steve,

At this time HipChat server is available only in the form of an OVA or an AMI. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events