• Community
  • Products
  • Hipchat
  • Questions
  • Can I configure the following permissions: to let Guests read ONLY messages posted by certain people and not the full message thread?

Can I configure the following permissions: to let Guests read ONLY messages posted by certain people and not the full message thread?

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Roles and Permissions

Hi all! Can I configure the following permissions: to let Guests read ONLY messages posted by certain people and not the full message thread?

2 answers

1 accepted

Accepted Answer
1 vote

@Kirill Skuybida Unfortunately, controlling message viewing permissions at this fine-grained of a level isn't supported by HipChat (in either server or cloud versions). Guests will always receive all messages sent to a room after they join.

It is important to note, however, they they do not currently have access to view previous history from before they join the room - this is something we're looking into as an improvement to guest access.

Thank you for your answer, Chris.

Yes.  When entering a comment, you can select who will be able to view it.  The selections can either be project roles or project groups, I believe.  However, the default setting is "all users."

I can not find a place where I can configure message privacy. Please assist.

And I believe you're talking about JIRA smile I'm referring to the HipChat.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Published Aug 10, 2018 in Hipchat

What should I think about when migrating HipChat to Slack?

...from the beginning. We have built up a lot of content in HipChat, with it being a core tool in our distributed company model. While it is true that we didn’t need to move to Slack immediately, we felt it...

506 views 1 10
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you