Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to access hipchat for blind users

Lindsay Jack January 16, 2017

Hi - one of our users is blind, and uses a screen reader in conjunction with an XMPP client to interact with our other users.  I understand that  XMPP support within HipChat is becoming deprecated in the short-medium term.  Does anyone have any suggestions for good ways for this user to interact with HipChat using other screen-reader friendly clients?

thanks

3 answers

1 vote
Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 17, 2017

Hi Lindsay,

At the moment, we don't have any short term plans to shutdown XMPP via 5222. If we do, we will make sure we have a recommendation on which third party clients to uses with XMPP over BOSH. Also be sure we will communicate it well in advance.

The reason why we can't give a recommendation now is that we still didn't spend enough time testing the third party clients.

Thanks.

0 votes
Lindsay Jack January 17, 2017

Perhaps I should clarify what I meant smile  I am working from this statement with regards to HipChat server:

https://confluence.atlassian.com/hipchatkb/external-xmpp-ports-5222-5223-disabled-by-default-in-hipchat-server-2-0-7-859442760.html

Whilst it seems that direct XMPP access is being deprecated, it looks like XMPP over BOSH is still supported - however I guess I am trying to understand what clients other HipChat customers may be using in this scenario for users that require screen readers to interact with their colleagues.

0 votes
Steffen Opel _Utoolity_
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
January 17, 2017

That would be unfortunate indeed, I wasn't aware of this - is there an official statement that 'XMPP support within HipChat is becoming deprecated in the short-medium term'?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events