Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best practices for HipChat Server setup (AWS)?

Byron Gibson August 21, 2015

I'm looking into self-hosting HipChat Server on AWS, and have a few questions:

1.  Can it be run from within a VPN or AWS VPC?  
    1. How does this affect Voice and Video chat, since those two are still apparently routed through HipChat cloud?
    2. Does Atlassian recommend any particular VPNs for this?  We've used OpenVPN before but the Mac and Mobile clients are not reliable or friendly to non-tech people, need something better and easier for techies and non-techies alike.
    3. How does this affect integration with JIRA/Stash/Confluence/etc which may be on a different side of the VPN?
  2. I'm concerned that putting HipChat behind VPN or VPC could cause usability problems, esp for our non-techies.  What's the best way to set up and secure a public-facing HipChat server then, say on AWS?  Behind a firewall but not behind the VPN/VPC?  In the AWS DMZ?  Something else?
  3. ... had something else but forgot, will add later if I remember...

1 answer

0 votes
wdehaan
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 31, 2015

Hi Byron.

Yes you can run HipChat Server in a VPC, this is the norm.

Voice and video are routed from the clients, not the Server. So the HipChat client software needs outbound Internet access, not Server.

We have no suggestions on VPN solutions. Consider what types of mobile devices need to connect.

Your integrations will have to access HipChat Server to post notifications. You can route that however possible smile

Training users on VPN use is key, then HipChat will be accessible like any other protected service.

Thanks for your interest,

Will DeHaan

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events