Best practices for HipChat Server setup (AWS)?

I'm looking into self-hosting HipChat Server on AWS, and have a few questions:

1.  Can it be run from within a VPN or AWS VPC?  
    1. How does this affect Voice and Video chat, since those two are still apparently routed through HipChat cloud?
    2. Does Atlassian recommend any particular VPNs for this?  We've used OpenVPN before but the Mac and Mobile clients are not reliable or friendly to non-tech people, need something better and easier for techies and non-techies alike.
    3. How does this affect integration with JIRA/Stash/Confluence/etc which may be on a different side of the VPN?
  2. I'm concerned that putting HipChat behind VPN or VPC could cause usability problems, esp for our non-techies.  What's the best way to set up and secure a public-facing HipChat server then, say on AWS?  Behind a firewall but not behind the VPN/VPC?  In the AWS DMZ?  Something else?
  3. ... had something else but forgot, will add later if I remember...

1 answer

Hi Byron.

Yes you can run HipChat Server in a VPC, this is the norm.

Voice and video are routed from the clients, not the Server. So the HipChat client software needs outbound Internet access, not Server.

We have no suggestions on VPN solutions. Consider what types of mobile devices need to connect.

Your integrations will have to access HipChat Server to post notifications. You can route that however possible smile

Training users on VPN use is key, then HipChat will be accessible like any other protected service.

Thanks for your interest,

Will DeHaan

Suggest an answer

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

How to earn badges on the Atlassian Community

Badges are a great way to show off community activity, whether you’re a newbie or a Champion.

Learn more
Community showcase
Published Tuesday in Hipchat

Moving from Hipchat to Stride? Here’s what you’ll love

Heya, Hipchat friends! We’re so happy you’re checking out   Stride. Whether you know it or not, you have been instrumental in making Stride come to life. Every feature, design, and functionality...

131 views 3 8
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you