HipChat's room feature is great, but what if I want to have an ad hoc conversation with two or more people? Does every group chat have to occur in a room?  If so, can a room be created such that people move in and out but are not members?

1 answer

0 vote

Currently all multi-person chats in HipChat must occur in rooms. However, we've had a few suggestions to support ad-hoc chats without the overhead of creating a room. For example: https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-1856. You can go to that issue and vote / watch / comment in order to receive updates.

If you're just looking to have a place where people can enter and exit without being a "permament" room member, then it sounds like a public room might work for your purposes. You can quickly create one by using the keyboard shortcut CMD-SHIFT-N and then invite whoever you want to chat with with CMD-I. It's not quite the same, since the room requires a name, but it might help remove some of the overhead and get you close.

Suggest an answer

Community showcase
Maarten Cautreels
Published Oct 07, 2017 in Hipchat

Bringing Structure to your HipChat Instance

...have mention name FirstnameLastname. Fe.: @MaartenCautreels This certainly helps to know who is being mentioned in a conversation. Imagine your colleague sends the following message...

467 views 1 4
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you
Atlassian Team Tour

Join us on the Team Tour

We're bringing product updates and pro tips on teamwork to ten cities around the world.

Save your spot