Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Notifications

Yılmaz Ergin February 13, 2018

I have a Hipchat application installed on my desktop computer. There is a notification problem, Incoming messages do not appear while hipchat is down. What appears on the red round is the number of posts in it, nor is there any other indication. Please help

2 comments

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 5, 2018

Hi, Yilmaz.

We need to check if you are have all the notifications enabled on the desktop client. For example:

Screen Shot 2018-04-05 at 14.05.19.png

Additionally, please confirm if you have your status set to Do not Disturb as that could possibly cause the absence of the notifications too. Please let me know how it goes on your end.

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 2, 2018
Rob Crowell August 24, 2018

We too have this problem, 30 clients all reporting and easily reproducible. Unless the client is running, we do not get notifications of new messages when it's relaunched. Super annoying as we are on laptops and constantly closing them, which puts them in sleep mode. When we open our laptops back up, we have to manually check each room/contact to see if there's any new messages. 

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
August 26, 2018

Hi there, Rob.

If you are on the move (having the laptops in sleep mode), I would recommend configuring your mobile client to receive notifications when you are offline from the desktop client as mentioned in the documentation here:

Push notifications are sent when Hipchat is running in the background on your Android or iOS device, and you're not active in Hipchat on another device. 

Take important note that push notifications will only be sent for the scenarios mentioned in the https://<fqdn>/account/notifications page.

Perhaps it is an option that you can consider trying? Let me know how it goes on your end.

Rob Crowell August 27, 2018

Thanks for the tip Ahmad. The point is not to get notifications constantly, but to be alerted of them when the app reconnects. The app should check for new messages upon startup and notify you of any new ones. Every other major chat app does this. Heck, I'm old enough to remember ICQ doing this in the 90s. 

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
August 27, 2018

Hi, Rob.

You are most welcome. The unread notifications feature has already been implemented on HipChat as we can see in the public trackers of this feature:

Even if you have other devices connected to the same account and you have the session active (meaning you have the conversations being constantly being read in those active sessions), the rest of the unread notification on the inactive ones will still be shown accordingly.

I have tested this on my end (in this case, I replicated the scenario of connection issue) and it seems to be working as expected. The unread notification on the inactive session is still shown while the ones on the active ones are cleared.

Can you please confirm that this is the case on your end too? 

Rob Crowell August 29, 2018

Ah there we go - exactly what I was looking for, thanks so much. We're on 2.2.4 sadly, so I'll push for a patching of the server. Take care. 

AhmadDanial
Atlassian Team
September 2, 2018

Hello, Rob.

You are most welcome. Any time. Take care and have a great weekend ahead.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events