HipChat Linux Client RPM post-install script fails to overwrite symbolic link to executable

When upgrading my HipChat client to v4.30.0.1663-1 using the RPM repository (https://atlassian.artifactoryonline.com/atlassian/hipchat-yum-client/), I noticed an error in the post-install script. It seems that the script tries to create a symbolic link at `/usr/local/bin/hipchat4`, but fails when that already exists; I haven't checked, but I suspect the script is calling `ln` without the `-f`/`--force` option. In any case, why create the symlink in `/usr/local/bin`: why not use `/usr/bin`?

==============================================================================================================================================================
 Package                           Arch                            Version                                  Repository                                   Size
==============================================================================================================================================================
Upgrading:
 hipchat4                          x86_64                          4.30.2.1665-1                            atlassian-hipchat4                           90 M

Transaction Summary
Upgrade  1 Package

Total download size: 90 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
HipChat4-4.30.2.1665-Linux.rpm                                                                                                8.8 MB/s |  90 MB     00:10    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                                                         8.8 MB/s |  90 MB     00:10     
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                                      1/1
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
  Upgrading        : hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/local/bin/hipchat4': File exists
warning: %post(hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package hipchat4
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package hipchat4
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2
  Cleanup          : hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2
  Verifying        : hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
  Verifying        : hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2

Upgraded:
  hipchat4.x86_64 4.30.2.1665-1                                                                                                                               

Complete!

1 comment

Hi Allan!

Looks like we'll need to dig further on this that's why I've decided to open up a New Support ticket for you. However, I'll need to know your Email Address so that I can add you as the Reporter for that ticket and give you access accordingly.

Looking forward to your reply!

Thanks, Ryan - how can I send you my email address privately? I wouldn't want to post it publicly here.

Thanks for your concern. It looks like it'd be better if you create the ticket yourself so that we don't risk exposing your information publicly.

I'd like to invite you to create a new ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ and I'll definitely pick it up! :)

@Ryan Benedict, sorry, but I'm just not willing to take the time to fill in a different form so you have the information in the correct place. Can you please raise the ticket? By all means set me as the reporter; I already have an account on your JIRA but I don't have reporter permissions.

Hi Allan,

No worries, just drop me an email at rbenedict@atlassian.com so that I can assign you the Case I created earlier. :)

Comment

Community showcase
Published Nov 14, 2018 in Hipchat Cloud

Hipchat Cloud and Stride End of Life: Just over 90 days away

Earlier this year we made the difficult decision to discontinue our team messaging tools, Stride and Hipchat. The end of life date for Stride and Hipchat Cloud is quickly approaching - February 15, 2...

553 views 0 2
Read article

Atlassian User Groups

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find a group

Connect with like-minded Atlassian users at free events near you!

Find my local user group

Unfortunately there are no AUG chapters near you at the moment.

Start an AUG

You're one step closer to meeting fellow Atlassian users at your local meet up. Learn more about AUGs

Groups near you