HipChat Linux Client RPM post-install script fails to overwrite symbolic link to executable

Allan Lewis November 23, 2017

When upgrading my HipChat client to v4.30.0.1663-1 using the RPM repository (https://atlassian.artifactoryonline.com/atlassian/hipchat-yum-client/), I noticed an error in the post-install script. It seems that the script tries to create a symbolic link at `/usr/local/bin/hipchat4`, but fails when that already exists; I haven't checked, but I suspect the script is calling `ln` without the `-f`/`--force` option. In any case, why create the symlink in `/usr/local/bin`: why not use `/usr/bin`?

==============================================================================================================================================================
 Package                           Arch                            Version                                  Repository                                   Size
==============================================================================================================================================================
Upgrading:
 hipchat4                          x86_64                          4.30.2.1665-1                            atlassian-hipchat4                           90 M

Transaction Summary
Upgrade  1 Package

Total download size: 90 M
Is this ok [y/N]: y
Downloading Packages:
HipChat4-4.30.2.1665-Linux.rpm                                                                                                8.8 MB/s |  90 MB     00:10    
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Total                                                                                                                         8.8 MB/s |  90 MB     00:10     
Running transaction check
Transaction check succeeded.
Running transaction test
Transaction test succeeded.
Running transaction
  Preparing        :                                                                                                                                      1/1
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
  Upgrading        : hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
ln: failed to create symbolic link '/usr/local/bin/hipchat4': File exists
warning: %post(hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64) scriptlet failed, exit status 1
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package hipchat4
Non-fatal POSTIN scriptlet failure in rpm package hipchat4
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2
  Cleanup          : hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2
  Running scriptlet: hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2
  Verifying        : hipchat4-4.30.2.1665-1.x86_64                                                                                                        1/2
  Verifying        : hipchat4-4.30.0.1663-1.x86_64                                                                                                        2/2

Upgraded:
  hipchat4.x86_64 4.30.2.1665-1                                                                                                                               

Complete!

1 comment

ryebenedict
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2017

Hi Allan!

Looks like we'll need to dig further on this that's why I've decided to open up a New Support ticket for you. However, I'll need to know your Email Address so that I can add you as the Reporter for that ticket and give you access accordingly.

Looking forward to your reply!

Allan Lewis November 27, 2017

Thanks, Ryan - how can I send you my email address privately? I wouldn't want to post it publicly here.

ryebenedict
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 27, 2017

Thanks for your concern. It looks like it'd be better if you create the ticket yourself so that we don't risk exposing your information publicly.

I'd like to invite you to create a new ticket via https://support.atlassian.com/contact/#/ and I'll definitely pick it up! :)

@ryebenedict, sorry, but I'm just not willing to take the time to fill in a different form so you have the information in the correct place. Can you please raise the ticket? By all means set me as the reporter; I already have an account on your JIRA but I don't have reporter permissions.

ryebenedict
Atlassian Team
November 27, 2017

Hi Allan,

No worries, just drop me an email at rbenedict@atlassian.com so that I can assign you the Case I created earlier. :)

Done.

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events