What's going on with Hipchat and Stride?

We recently announced a strategic partnership between Atlassian and Slack which will result in a big change for our Hipchat and Stride users. As VP of Product at Atlassian, I want to make sure our community members are aware of this change, the reasoning behind it, and know how to get in touch with us regarding questions. Please take a look at the announcement blog for in-depth details about this partnership. If you have questions for myself or the Atlassian team, you can post them to this thread and we'll answer them as soon as we can.

10 comments

Tim Howe July 26, 2018

Will you be resigning after presiding over this slow-motion catastrophe?

tgefen July 27, 2018

BIG dislike

Dave Liao
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
July 28, 2018

Surprising news. I'll cut Atlassian some slack though, I'm sure they're making the best long-term decision for the company... hopefully?

Steven Ventimiglia July 28, 2018

Slack is horrible.  It's actually worse than Skype, imo.  Downtime and lag are just the start.  Prepare to pay a monthly fee for it, as well.  Logs are limited, and their business model is deceitful by not being transparent about the cost involved in properly collaborating on a project and throwing all your eggs into the lackluster-slack-basket.

Even worse, is that this is the first time - after 6+ years - that I've ever considered Atlassian's product line to be unreliable.  What role is Trello going to play now (being a 'mini Kanban-JIRA'?)  How about the possibility of that extremely disappointing UI on their Cloud products being integrated into their server software?

Atlassian seems to be slacking, alright.   So, I'm hoping they up their game within the next year or there are other options we'll need to consider for our team(s), such as moving to Gitlab.

Deleted user July 30, 2018

There's some interesting discussion of Slack alternatives over on the Hacker News post for the HipChat acquisition, including from the Mattermost and Zulip CEOs who are considerning offering discounts for those wanting to migrate from Hipchat/Stride.

kevin conroy July 30, 2018

Stride looked like it might have been an interesting product.

However, we're a full on Slack team and are pretty happy with this move. Users love it, it easily integrates into our scripts, we've got slackbots doing fun stuff with Jira. What's not to like - apart from their punishing pricing for the product compared to what you get for free..

dallinsmith July 30, 2018

Very, very disappointed in this decision. There's a reason we LEFT Slack to go to Stride. Stride was already a much superior product in just the little time it had to develop and now we're being pushed back to Slack with it's horrible interface and regular problems? No thanks. Not going to happen. Very disappointed and upset at Atlassian for doing this.

Nick Dring August 9, 2018

Coming from Hipchat, we are finding Slack quite a trouble-free move. I have everything I used to have in Hipchat and with Jira Integration Plus I can do a lot more.

Price wise I'm lucky as we qualified for EDU pricing so we got a huge 85% discount.

If this helps keep M$ from the door then its ok by me.

Robert M_ Münch August 23, 2018

You lost us... we move to Zulip. These guys offer the same deal as current HipChat cloud uses, so much cheaper than Slack and Slack is horrible bloatware and too much hipster driven.

And, with the HipChat experience now, we can get the open-source server to run it on our own systems as an exit strategy if ever something happens to the cloud service.

Not going to bet again on a service provider... you just showed the perfect worst case of using cloud services. 

Like Steven Ventimiglia likes this
Steven Ventimiglia July 22, 2019

I loved Hipchat, used it all day, and basically now just use Slack to show git alerts thrown to it by Trello.

Atlassian should just hold a bounty for a Hipchat clone, which would probably be fulfilled by one of their own devs as a side-gig.  Taking that out of their eco-system was a huge mistake, imo.  Becoming partners with Slack was a bigger one, since there are very few companies who use them anymore past the paywall - and, then badmouth them once they've realized all the time they've put into their workspace; losing logs, files, etc. with the move to something like Discord (which is like using Twitch instead of Skype for business.)

Like Vy Nguyen likes this

Comment

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events