Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internal link to Hipchat room

Drew Furney May 6, 2016

Hi there!

In our implementation, we commonly use a collaborative HipChat room to take note of new issues, which then receive their own dedicated HipChat room for troubleshooting and mitigation efforts. However, we find that pasting the URL of that dedicated room in the main room results in a new browser window... or in the case of tapping the url from the app on a mobile device, being directed away from the app to log in again through a web browser and still not be placed in the new room.

Is there any way to make some sort of "internal" link such that the client (both desktop and mobile) recognizes its own URL and simply directs the user to the room, rather than treating it as a standalone web address to direct a new browser page to?

Thanks!

1 answer

1 vote
Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
May 10, 2016

Hi Drew,

Unfortunately it is not possible right now. We do have hipchat://group.hipchat.com/chat/room/123456 that is recognized by Mac client but it is not something that is recognised by every client.

It does sound useful though. We actually allow client side components of add-ons to open room inside the client (for exampe when a user performs an action inside the add-on's UI component).

Thomas Verstraete June 22, 2016

I really really really want to be able to do this. Either with Applescripts or some other mechanism. I want to have system level keyboard shortcuts to go to a particular room or person. I am constantly talking to the same handful of people and would be great instead of cmd+T to find the person. I know that it isn't difficult to add Applescript support to an application if it is native Cocoa. So, please add it.

Thanks.

Anatoli
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 26, 2016

Thomas, if you are only after Mac support you can probably do it right now by writing a short script that opens a native hipchat://group.hipchat.com/room/123456 url and assign this script to a key.

[EDIT] fixed the url

Thomas Verstraete June 27, 2016

For some reason this isn't working for me. I put the url in safari and it puts focus on the HipChat application but does not move me to the room I got the url for. I also tried "open hipchat://group.hipchat.com/chat/room/123456" in the terminal. (yes I changed 'group' and '123456'). Any thoughts?

Anatoli
Atlassian Team
June 29, 2016

You are right, the url is a little off it should be hipchat://group.hipchat.com/room/123456 . Sorry, my bad not putting the right url in the comment above.

Brandon Noskoviak June 29, 2018

how can we alter the macOS compatible url to work for a DM? e.g., group.hipchat.com/person/first.last @Anatoli

Brandon Noskoviak July 3, 2018

figured it out e.g., hipchat://group.hipchat.com/user/1234567

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events