Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How to create an auth token for HipChat with a specific role

Michael T. January 16, 2015

For a non-HipChat add-on, I need an auth token to communicate with HipChat via its v2 REST API. I want to have a specific scope for the auth token in order to be able to create rooms (i.e., scope "manage_rooms"). Is there a way to create such an auth token? Can I use the OAuth API for this? In HipChat's web admin interface, I was only able to create tokens with either notification or admin scopes, but none of the new scopes of the v2 API ('manage_rooms', 'admin_room', etc.).

Thanks,

Michael

8 answers

2 votes
David Maye
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 16, 2015

Hi Michael,

The v2 tokens are generated at https://www.hipchat.com/account/api under your account in HipChat. API v2 documentation is here. Hope this helps.

Cheers,
-David
Atlassian HipChat Support 

0 votes
Khanh Truong May 18, 2018

I think HipChat ceased operation. They don't update this product anymore. Time to switch to Slack.

0 votes
Constantin Bugneac February 9, 2018

Hello All,

Is the update on this issue ? I'm experiencing the same problem.

Regards

0 votes
Dzmitry Antonau October 16, 2017

Hello,

Is there any updates on this topic?

What is the way of requesting API token via some kind of request?

Thanks

0 votes
Dom Drane August 13, 2017

I'm having this similar problem and I'm unable to create a token for specific roles. Can someone at Atlassian provide a guide on how to do this? 

Thanks

0 votes
Sean Wuensch October 19, 2015

Any update on this issue? I also can only see where I can create a token for my account, but not a general token. 

0 votes
Michael T. January 18, 2015

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for your answer. What we would like to implement is a feature that involves creating a HipChat room for certain kind of discussions and to invite a list of people into this newly created room - all done from a non-HipChat add-on. This requires that we have a token with at least "manage_room" scope in order to create a new room and to get all users of a HipChat group (via /v2/user) to provide auto-completion in our add-on for the list of users to invite into the new room.

With API v1, we could just ask the customer to give us an admin token for our add-on which we would save in the add-on settings. But of course, this might be a show-stopper for our add-on because an admin token is a higher permission we actually would need (speaking in terms of the API v2 where the scope manage_room would be enough). But for API v1 we would even need an admin token to retrieve the users of a group (via users/list).

My idea was to redirect the user of our add-on to a HipChat URL where that user would be able to grant our add-on an auth token with manage_room scope via OAuth, similar to what is possible with Atlassian's application links.

Is that possible? Do you see another solution?

Regards,

Michael

0 votes
Michael T. January 16, 2015

Hi David,

Thanks for your answer. But that link only allows be to create a personal token. What I want is to create a token with one of the scopes provided with the V2 API (i.e., "manage_rooms") that can be used for my non-HipChat plug-in. Is there a way that I can request a token via OAuth with the HipChat REST API with a specific scope?

I would like to use a mechanism similar to the OAuth authentication with Atlassian's application links. A HipChat user with the necessary rights could grant my non-HipChat plug-in a token with "manage_rooms" scope.

Cheers,

Michael

Patrick Streule
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 18, 2015

Hi Michael, Could you describe the integration with HipChat that would like to implement? Maybe implementing it as a HipChat add-on is an option? I think the /users/authorize endpoint could help in your case (see https://www.hipchat.com/docs/apiv2/auth), but my understanding is that you would still need an add-on in this case. Regards, Patrick

Pieter Rautenbach March 13, 2015

Hi Michael I'm experiencing a similar issue to yours: I can only see on the web UI how to create a personal access token. Have you figured out how to generate a general admin token for the v2 API?

Michael T. March 13, 2015

Hi Pieter, Not yet, unfortunately. What I am looking for actually is a way to create tokens manually (via the HipChat admin web GUI) for the specific scopes the HipChat v2 API provides (e.g., for "manage_room" scope). Currently, I only see how this is possible when we would develop a HipChat add-on, but not that it would be possible to let the user create such a token by himself and enter it in our non-HipChat add-on's plug-in settings...

Carlos Ardila July 7, 2016

Hello, I'm still unable to create rooms from add-on´s. Token complains with: Must be a valid room owner. Here is my descriptor: 
https://ropacolombiana.es/atlassian-connect.json

Thanks for your help.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events