Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do you sort people by alphabetical order?

Kyle Eliason March 22, 2016

In the left sidebar, how do I sort all the people by alphabetical order? I have open conversations with 20 people and they're all out of order and it makes it difficult. If I close HipChat and open it back up, it stays in the same old order.

11 answers

1 accepted

5 votes
Answer accepted
Peter T
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 22, 2016

Hi Kyle,

are you using Mac or Windows client or mobile?

On Windows the only option you have is manually to drag and drop the conversations to archive the right order.

Kyle Eliason March 22, 2016

Windows client. Wow - seems like a tedious process, but it'll work. Thanks.

arclyte April 1, 2016

And on Mac?

James Phillpotts January 11, 2017

On Mac, edit HipChat.app/Contents/Resources/chat.html, and add this line to the start of the orderRooms function (which in version 4.29.0.732 is at line 113966):

rooms = _.sortBy(_.values(rooms), ['name']);
Deleted user May 17, 2017

Nice!

Mike Melton July 12, 2017

My sentiment too. Wow. UI Design 101: if you have a list of ANYTHING, provide a means to sort it.

6 votes
Nick Patsiopoulos November 18, 2016

Is there any reason that this ridiculously easy feature can't be implemented?

Lisa Anderson June 19, 2017

Has this feature been implemented yet?  

1 vote
Jonas_Bygdén September 13, 2017

As of v4.30.0 for Mac the code is no longer in that file it seems... :(

Gaurav Garg September 15, 2017
Jonas_Bygdén November 10, 2017

For 4.30 the code is in a comment in the above mentioned case

0 votes
ramksrid December 24, 2018

I am unable to sort my 'People' display... Is there an option to do it?

It is SO ANNOYING, that I cannot find people, as I have a fairly large 'People' list that is unsorted... :(

I am surprised (really disappointed) such an important yet easy UX feature is OverLooked by HipChat folks...

Please advise a solution to do this? 

Also, where would I find the 'Hipchat.app' folder?

I found it under /Applications in my MacBookPro... I added the above script and tried now...

I made the changes as suggested in the above workaround and it works!!! awesome...

Atlassian Please consider fixing this..

0 votes
Jib Hunt June 22, 2018

Switch to Slack.

I agree... :)

0 votes
narcosnow March 7, 2018

What if you open sourced your client and let the community implement features like these?

You could decide which features were allowed in by committee, and even provide design guidelines to ensure you still maintain a high quality product.

0 votes
Drew N January 26, 2018

Yes please. Another vote from me.  I can't do the work-around

0 votes
Volodymyr Pykhtin November 10, 2017

Hi
Would Atlassian implement this feature, please - any auto sorting in the conversations list (like alphabetical order, recent, etc...)

0 votes
Gaurav Garg September 15, 2017
Jonas_Bygdén September 15, 2017

Oh, come on - not this stupid voting again.

The issue is too old. And with stride coming, do you really beleive that they will spend any time and effort fixing stupid bugs like this?

Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

Hi Jonas, 

Stride and HipChat will continue to evolve as separate products according to FAQ: Stride and HipChat Data Center.

The HipChat client is getting even more attention and features like this one and many others will be implemented. 

Thanks. 

Jonas_Bygdén September 18, 2017

If we vote for them, right? 

You know how I feel about the Atlassian voting system...

I've signed up for the Stride Early Access - if that doesn't suite us, we're fully prepared to move to Slack...

Arbi Dridi
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
September 18, 2017

Hi Jonas, 

Yes, the more votes an issue has, the higher its chances to be implemented are. 

Thanks. 

0 votes
Paul S September 13, 2017

I'm on Version 4.30.0.742 and the workaround still works.

Jonas_Bygdén September 13, 2017

Are you sure? All my old rooms and 1-1 chats are still sorted correctly. But I upgraded to that (4.30.0.742) the other day and any new rooms or 1-1 chats just gets added at the bottom of the list regardless of where it should be alphabetically.

And looking at the chat.html-file the sorting code is not in there anymore.

0 votes
Paul S August 31, 2017

The workaround still works as of 21 Aug 2017

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events