Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How do users completely leave a HipChat room?

Brian Wilson September 29, 2014

With 600 users and dozens of rooms, I'm starting to see a common complaint among those in our instance that they're unable to fully leave a room in HipChat. This means that those who were first exploring, or were only needed in a room once, are now permanently "attached" to a room and will be pinged with @all requests, even after they thought they've left. This is discouraging room exploration and I fear it will only get worse as our instance continues to spread across our company. 

So is there a way for a user to completely leave a HipChat room and not be bothered bit it again until they rejoin?

7 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Chelsey Twigg September 29, 2014

According to HipChat support:

@all mentions

In a room you can use an "@all" mention to get everyone's attention at once (example: "@all Meeting is starting.") Everyone shown in the list on the right will be notified when @all is used. In open rooms this is just the people who are currently online and in the room. In private rooms this is everyone who has access to join the room (regardless of whether they are actively in the room).

@here mentions

Use @here to address the active members in a room and filter out everyone else (example: "@here Time for lunch!") . By “active” we mean you are logged into a room and your availability shows that green dot. It will never send emails, push notifications, etc., since those are only sent to people who are away/idle/offline. 

http://help.hipchat.com/knowledgebase/articles/64429-how-do-mentions-work

Alex Kwiatkowski July 5, 2017

This does not answer the question.

DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

Yea I don't see how this has anything to do with the question. This is not an answer. Please change and re-open.

UXGuy April 6, 2018

Can't exactly control how people use / abuse the @all mentions.  This issue is NOT solved. 

Chris H (OG) May 13, 2018

I think "Leaving a room" is not possible on Hipchat. Even though it's core functionality that you might expect 😂

5 votes
pschaff01
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 19, 2015

Hey Brian,

If you are an admin of your group you can surely remove yourself from the room and other users as well. If you are not an admin, you will need to request them to be removed.

If you are an admin, you will need to browse through Group Admin -> Rooms, then click on the room you want to be removed and choose "Permissions". In this screen you will see the list of users who are part of the room and you can then remove yourself completely from it.

4 votes
Martin Butt November 18, 2016

I found the option to remove yourself. Open the web interface. Select Rooms from the top menu. Search for the room. Then select Permissions from the left menu. You will then see an Edit Members link that you can use to de-select yourself.

Ryan Armstrong May 11, 2018

You the real MVP <3

Chris H (OG) May 13, 2018

Maybe the UI has changed since, but theres no "Rooms" in the top menu now.

4 votes
Brenton Klassen November 18, 2016

Thank for the clarification but this seems like a bug. Can the inability to remove yourself from a room that you don't own be addressed?

2 votes
Matthew Shea July 19, 2017

This needs to happen. I shouldn't have to track down the admin just to leave a room. Now I'm getting all the @here and @all notifications. Slack alows you to leave any room at any point.

2 votes
DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

The answer seems to be that a person cannot leave a room at will. This should be unacceptable. Can this option be added rapidly please? To me it is of highest priority.

Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2017

Hey Daniel, 

If you're referring to a public room, any user that closes the room in the HipChat application itself shouldn't show up in the room's member list anymore until the user reopens the room.

If you're seeing a different behavior, please raise a support ticket with us containing the following information so we can investigate further:

- HipChat client type&version

- If all users are experiencing the same behavior

Thank you!

DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

I appreciate your response. I'm referring to private rooms but also public. I want to leave a private room not just remove it from my list but to remove myself from the member list.

How can I leave a private room completely to no longer be in the member list?

Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
July 11, 2017

Thanks for your response, Daniel. 

In order to be removed from a private room it is necessary to reach out to the room admin so he can navigate to the room's settings in the GUI and remove your account from the member's list. 

The admin can also remove users from private rooms through the HipChat application itself by selecting the room's settings > Remove users.

DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

How can I petition for the feature to be added to allow a user to remove themselves from a room no matter the social status, if they want to be out of a room then they can make that choice?

AnnWorley
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2017

The petition is in place in the form of a suggestion ticket for our development team:

Allow users to leave rooms they don't own

To emphasize your use case and add weight to the ticket, please vote and comment on it.

DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

Ok I appreciate the help from you, Nagila and Ann.

Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2017

I went ahead and already created this feature request on you behalf so this feature can be reviewed on our team: 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-3263 

I would encourage you to visit the suggestion page linked above and click the *Vote* and *Watch* links near the top right to show support for the feature. By doing this, it will ensure you're proactively informed of progress and updates going forward. 

Feel free to add comments/feedback in the ticket, also. 

DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

Awesome I am voting and keeping this ticket at hand to get some more votes. Thank you for your assistance.

Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2017

Great, Daniel! Thank you for your feedback, we always have room for improvements. 

DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

I should let you know that when I try to leave a comment I do get this error:

Communications Breakdown

The JIRA server could not be contacted. This may be a tempoarary glitch or the server may be down.

Close this dialog and press refresh in your browser.

Nágila Marques
Atlassian Team
July 11, 2017

Oh, interesting. It looks like a glitch on our servers indeed. Can you try to reload the page again? 

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-3263

Thank you!

DanielJ210 July 11, 2017

I did a few times already and again just now. Still getting the same error.

Robert Banks July 6, 2018

This answer is marked as solved, yet there is no solution in place yet. Are they closing it, to ignore it?

Eugene Saladukha October 30, 2018

Jesus, make users possible to leave rooms. Otherwise there is no consistency, you can join room by free will and couldn't leave it. And you end up participating tons of groups you don't need anymore. !!!

Bjorn Jacobsen November 13, 2018

Not only that - During my exploration of my ability to leave a number of rooms, a suggestion was to find the "rooms" tab and do it from there.

While in that tab I accidentally clicked a specific room here which I have no reason to be in - just simply clicking it added me to the list of members and now I cannot leave the room again and I am flooded with @here and @AlL comments all the time.

It's really frustrating.
Every morning when I come in all the previous groups I was in are all popping up again telling me that someone tagged me there. :(

1 vote
Hao Doan May 3, 2017

If the room is public user can't remove themselves and admin can't either. The option is grey out in the 3dots tab. I think they need to fix this and allow users to remove themselves from a room public.

I've found a work around by making the room private, remove the user, and then switch it back to public. It will do until they fix it.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events