How can I respond to a specific comment?

Bob Vallelonga August 26, 2016

I can't seem to figure out how to respond to a specific comment in a chat room.

4 answers

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
danny
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 28, 2016

If newer comments have come in after the comment you want to respond to, then the best thing to do is to copy the text of the comment and add it to a quote block like so '/quote [add the previous comment here]' . That will make the comment show up in a quote block and then you can type your response.

Mark Noble April 24, 2017

Hmm... just did that, but it didn't seem to end the quote when I switched to a new line.

...and I don't seem to be able to edit things after posting to improve the formatting.

Both Teams and Slack allow this so it'd be nice to have it in HipChat.

It's also worth noting that we can reply to specific responses here in the Community - so it must be a useful capability to have! :D

4 votes
Owen April 10, 2018

+1 for this feature request. In my company HipChat is seen as the weak link in the Atlassian suite, and this is one of those reasons. This morning I wanted to answer a question that was posted more than a dozen comments ago, and manually quoting it is inefficient. Slack is being evaluated as a replacement, which will get messy as we like the JIRA and Confluence integration. But the need for efficient everyday comms will be the decider.

Ymen January 28, 2019

I hope this will be heard soon. we use hipchat and our communication is getting confused a lot because reply is not in context. This is really bad that  Atlassian is ignoring this feature long time. slack has it, whatsup has it, so why not to add to hipchat ?

2 votes
Inbar Gazit January 22, 2018

I want to second the request for this feature. The feature should work like WhatsApp feature for the same reason - in large rooms where there are many comments - it's nice to not have to copy/paste and you can select a comment and click "Reply" to make it clear what you're talking about. Please consider this feature. thanks!

0 votes
crivers
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
August 26, 2016

There's no option to respond to a specific comment in a room. Rooms are designed to simply be a one-way flow of conversation. We do hope to add options to link to / star individual messages in the future, but full threaded conversations (where people can reply to individual messages) isn't something on our roadmap.

Bob Vallelonga August 26, 2016

Ok.  Thanks for the response Chris.  I think that would be a very useful feature.  There is an image on the main webpage (https://hipchat-magnolia-cdn.atlassian.com/dam/jcr:b56f34a3-b03a-45a7-a9dd-f5ae2e519bcd/hipchat-overview-hero.png?cdnVersion=dc) that has a comment indented under another comment.  I was thinking that was a reply to a particular chat room comment.  I was really excited to start using HipChat with our team to log changes and problems with test benches. Being able to reply to a particular comment would allow a user to provide a solution to a problem that was found in the past without it getting disconnected from the problem.  Not sure if there is another way in HipChat to do what I am suggesting.

Steven F Behnke
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
August 26, 2016

There's no indented message – But Integrations (Like the JIRA integration) post cards in the room, which do appear to be indented. No users can reply directly to or indent their messages.

Karan Malhi October 18, 2016

Responding to particular comments was one of the most used feature for me in slack apart from todo lists and reminders. Copy-/quote-comment is painful and am hoping you would be able to reconsider this feature for your roadmap

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events