HipChat - threaded messages

Brian Bryant March 29, 2016

Hi everyone,

I thought I saw a post on this a couple months ago but couldn't find it so I hope this isn't a duplicate.

Our company is on the cusp of choosing a group chat tool and we want to choose HipChat. But we have several teams that have been using free Slack for 6-8 months and they really like the threaded messaging ability. We also took a close look at Ryver, and while they do it differently than Slack they also have threaded messages.

Is this going to be added to HipChat? If so, any feel for when?

Thanks!

12 answers

1 vote
Rodrigo Uzun Fleischmann January 17, 2017

Thanks Ville Manninem for filing the feature request https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/HCPUB-2004, we all can vote and commented there now.

A chat room without a good thread system is useless for team work, it stays as a notification area or a single thread discussion, slow team productivity. It reminds me of having a concurrent processor rather than a true parallel one wink

0 votes
David Wisnowski February 12, 2017

yea i think we are bailing to for a tool like slack or flow dock which does support threads.  Sad that they have not yet created this feature.

0 votes
roksaneh January 27, 2017

We agree too. Without threads HipChat isn't usable for our company. We also would like to hear if it's on "the list" or in progress.

0 votes
Scott Peiffer January 19, 2017

I agree 100%.  But... I have to give Atlassian the benefit of the doubt given the latest features in JIRA that had been long requested (Projects Admin workflows, ect.).  Although it would be nice to hear someone say "it is on the list"... at least...

0 votes
Mette Bentzen December 20, 2016

It is so annoying that it does not have threaded conversations... We have to go for another product then. 

0 votes
Rob Torio October 13, 2016

Has anyone here tried to submit a feature request for threaded messages/conversations/comments in HipChat?

I posted a tweet about it yesterday during the keynote (Innovation in Team Collaboration) and got this response from HipChat's Twitter account:

https://twitter.com/HipChat/status/786271133700071424

0 votes
Tridib Samanta August 16, 2016

+10 from my team for Threaded discussion. We also started using HipChat. But it's not helpful until its threaded. Question and answers are all jumbled up.

0 votes
Jason Huntowski August 12, 2016

I agree with this. I would love to make Hip Chat our discussion software, but until there are threaded discussions, I  can't pull people off of Slack.

0 votes
Jason LaFollette June 9, 2016

Threads are a prerequisite for us too. Until HipChat has threads we will stay in Flowdock.

0 votes
Steve Hole May 16, 2016

There seems to be nothing but crickets listening to this question. It is a very important question however. We also consider conversation threads / discussions / topical threads (whatever you want to call them) an absolute MUST for selection. We have been using Unison and depend on this feature. We'd like to use HipChat but cannot find any information on whether this feature is planned or not.

0 votes
Valerie Liberty April 10, 2016

I'd like to second the request for threaded chats. 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events