Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Formatting lists and tables in HipChat

Ariel Balter March 22, 2016

This question is in reference to Atlassian Documentation: Keyboard shortcuts and slash commands

Is there a way to format lists and tables in HipChat? What about inline code?

2 answers

0 votes
Ariel Balter March 28, 2016

Hi Cody,

I do know about the /code trick. However, how do I get back to text so I can mix text and code?

Myself and hundreds if not thousands of others would like you to incorporate markdown the way stackoverflow, slack, github and hundreds of other sites have. It's simple, commonly used, and has tons of open source front end (javascript) and back end (php) interpreters. Really, markdown is becoming a lingua franca of chat, code sharing and discussion boards. It's a little difficult, to be honest, to understand why you won't do it. Or at least have it as an add in.

To me it feels like the /code thing is reinventing the wheel in an inferior way as far as code and other markup is concerned. I hate to say it, but you are behind the curve on this one.

Thanks, Ariel

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2016

Hey Ariel!

Sadly I'm not affiliated with Atlassian directly, so I can't really help you get this implemented.  I do agree with you that this functionality would be super useful to a lot of people.

If you'd like to submit a feature suggestion, (which I recommend), you may do so here:

Atlassian JIRA

Good luck!

Ariel Balter March 28, 2016

Sorry about that Cody! I'm going to do as you suggest.

In the mean time, do you know of a way to mix code and text?

Thanks, Ariel 

Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 28, 2016

As far as I'm aware, there currently isn't a option that fits what you're looking for, sadly.  

I know you're far from the only one wanting this functionality, so hopefully it won't be too long before something more robust is implemented.

Sorry!

0 votes
Rising Star
Rising Star
March 28, 2016

Hey Ariel!

Have you tried using the slash command /code?  That should maintain all formatting of the text that follows.

And just in case you haven't seen it, here's a good breakdown of all the available formatting commands and options for HipChat:

HipChat Pro Tips and Tricks

Hope that helps!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events