Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Slack workflow to create Jira ticket failing due to custom field errors

Lucy Brown June 1, 2023

I am using Slack workflows to create a Jira ticket from a Slack form. 

I have mapped all the fields from the form into the various fields in Jira. 

We have some field validations in place for some fields, e.g. a field must be mandatory, or a field must be numbers only, or a URL only, to help us control the data

When creating the tickets manually, these validations work well. 

When creating the tickets using the slack workflow, mapping the fields from slack, i am getting errors, as below

1. Error: Integration+ was unable to process workflow step. Reference code: 1685612675545 >>> Jira Error: Unable to communicate with Jira, 400 error - customfield_23838: Operation value must be a number
    1. Even though the data i am entering from slack is a number. ive tried typing the text manually e.g. "0" or using a variable from the slack form, and they are both failing and getting this error
  2. Error: Integration+ was unable to process workflow step. Reference code: 1685612989658 >>> Jira Error: Unable to communicate with Jira, 400 error - customfield_24031: Account Manager is required.
    1. Even though i have hard coded a users name in the Account Manager field 

Please can you help advise how to resolve this? i am getting errors for these custom fields, even though i am following the rules

thanks a lot!

1 answer

2 votes
Rachel Armstrong
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
June 1, 2023

Hey Lucy, thanks for reaching out to the team! 

The Slack workflow step has some limitations when it comes to custom field data and by proxy, syncing to Jira. 
The Slack workflow steps for Assist cannot collect and send custom field data -- you can add a step to have users fill out a form and mirror that to the request type you're attempting to sync to, but we're unable to send that data to any field other than the Summary. 

The best method to utilize the Slack workflow step in its current form is to only select request types that have no required fields other than Summary. The reason for that is because we cannot collect and send custom field data via the workflow step, you'll see the errors you've mentioned due to Assist being unable to provide a value for them, so Jira rejected creation of the ticket entirely. 

If you're not able to remove requirement of fields in order to follow the suggestion above, we recommend not using the workflow step and instead utilizing the formal method to sync to request types via the Chat feature, seen here: https://support.atlassian.com/jira-service-management-cloud/docs/set-up-chat/

Let me know if this helps! 

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events