Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Dynamic slack sections

Joe Teitelman November 17, 2022

Trying to figure out if this concept exists... really hoping it does. I want slack sections that would dynamically update based on a set of rules. Similar to how Google filters/labels work. 

Use cases:

1) Section that would automatically show unread messages. They would be removed from this section when they become read. (I'm aware of the unread option that exists, I just don't like how it works)

2) Section that would show all unread messages from a specific person. For example, my boss sends messages to many different groups. So anytime a message comes from my boss, the group/channel would show up in this section and would be removed when the message is read. 

3) Section that would show unread messages containing a specific phrase. Example: any conversation/group/channel with an unread message (from anyone) that says "urgent" would show up in this section. 

I could go on...

thanks - joe 

1 answer

1 accepted

2 votes
Answer accepted
Andrew Homeyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 22, 2022

Interesting ideas! 

Slack has a few options to customize the sidebar, although not exactly like what you're thinking. I personally create channel groups, and change the notifications for important channels to make sure I'm notified on every message.

You can also suggest features to Slack here: https://halpers.slack.com/help/requests/new

Joe Teitelman November 28, 2022

Thanks, Andrew. I have a lot of customizations in my sidebar. This feature would allow me to navigate more effectively. 

I'm not able to sign in to the link to make the suggestion. I am already signed into my slack account and workspaces (which it notes at the bottom). When I click the link to sign in with my google account, it brings me right back to the sign in page (basically, nothing happens). Any idea?

Andrew Homeyer
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 28, 2022

Ah, that link had my own Slack subdomain in it - try <your slack domain>.slack.com/help/requests/new

Joe Teitelman November 28, 2022

Perfect, thanks so much!

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events