Work in Government? Introduce yourself here!

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 29, 2017

For those going to Summit (and even for those who aren't), we wanted to get a kick start on the discussion at the Government user group. So this is a great chance to write a quick blurb about you, your role/team within your company and what you're hoping to get out of connecting with other industry practitioners, either online or in-personl  

And for those of you who are attending the Government user group at Summit, we'll use your areas of interest to create targeted discussions during the networking time. 

Welcome to the community -- we're happy to have you!

19 comments

Comment

Michael Mitchell August 29, 2017

Hi everyone, I'm Michael Mitchell and I work for US Dept of Health and Human Services, Office of the Secretary, Assistant Secretary for Public Affairs, Digital Content Division.  We maintain nearly all the domains ending in HHS.gov.  We have been using JIRA to track tasks completed by our partner contractors in the past, but are looking to integrate other Atlassian Products into our workflow, like Confluence and HipChat.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
Community Managers are Atlassian Team members who specifically run and moderate Atlassian communities. Feel free to say hello!
August 29, 2017

Welcome, Michael! A lot of our users have worked with Atlassian integrations so I'm sure you'll get some great ideas and pointers here. 

Michael Mitchell September 18, 2017

Monique, it was great meeting you at Summit.  I look forward to seeing and working with you in the future.

Joseph P. Arellano August 29, 2017

Hello,  I am Joseph P. Arellano (Joe), and I work at Sandia National Laboratories with the HPC Systems organization as a sys admin.  We use JIRA & Confluence for project management, issue tracking, and as our own internal wiki.  We are are small group of about 30 folks.  This will be my third Summitt.  The Enterprise folks  provide Confluence for corporate use at SNL for a while now.  We have been using JIRA & Confluence since the summer of 2015.

I am interested of getting together with primarily fellow DOE laboratories folks on how they are using JIRA and Confluence and if they have had issues with recent upgrades.

Our Hardware Team is looking to see if the Hardware Inventory Plugin can use in the place of RT.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 29, 2017

Welcome, Joe! Happy we will see you at Summit and hope you find a great group to connect with.

Marianne Bowen August 29, 2017

Hello everyone,

I am Marianne Bowen, and I work in the IT Division of the Federal Transit Administration in the Department of Transportation. I manage some of our projects running on the Appian platform, and as part of our move to agile development we have implemented JIRA and Confluence. Actually the Department had licenses for quite a while, but despite all the lipservice to Agile none of them were used, until we asked for them.

We are getting ready to set up a Service Desk instance for our Helpdesk activities, and are hoping to be able to do as much continuous integration as a platform such as Appian allows.

I am looking forward to the Summit, and especially to meeting with my fellow Feds.

Marianne

Michael Mitchell August 29, 2017

Marianne, we implemented JIRA Service Desk here at ASPA Digital earlier this year.  I'm looking forward to meeting and talking to you.

Michael

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 29, 2017

The last discussion about Appian is a few years old but perhaps @Mike-Campbell-LM or @Gioachino Bisconti are still around!

Marianne Bowen August 30, 2017

Thank you Monique, I will see if I can get more information from Mike or Gio. :)

William Bentley August 29, 2017

Hello all. My name is William Bentley. I am the president of Future CIS, Corp, a SDVOSB Federal Systems Integrator. We support multiple government agencies. Our largest customer currenlty has a large deployment of all Atlassian products. Looking forward to my first Summit as well as meeting other like-minded people and learning more about how to enable my customers and myself to be successful with Atlassian.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 29, 2017

Stop by the community lounge if you can, William, and say hi!

Cake August 29, 2017

o/ Hey all,

I'm Ben and am working at NAVSEA. There's been a huge rollout of JIRA/Confluence to the entire workforce and I'm in the trenches trying to help increase the adoption while keeping absolutely everything from falling down around our ears.

Looking forward to the summit and seeing some fresh faces.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 29, 2017

That sounds familiar -- feel free to post any questions you have around managing a rollout successfully. Lots of folks in the community may have good ideas for you!

Dave Kiraly August 29, 2017

Hi, I’m Dave Kiraly and I supervise the Business Application Team that supports the Wyoming Department of Revenue.   My team supports 5 of the 6 divisions, Excise, Mineral, Admin Services, Director’s Office and everyone’s favorite, the Liquor Division.   We have been using JIRA to manage projects and track issues reported against Production.  We had tried Service Desk, however moved away from it and are using a Collector.   We’re considering Bitbucket.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 31, 2017

Welcome Dave! Let me know if I can help out with any Bitbucket questions -- I can probably find someone who knows things. :) 

Michael Blake August 29, 2017

Hello, this is Michael Blake and I work for CGI Federal.  We support over 300 entities within the US Federal government thru the use of JIRA, Confluence, BitBucket, Bamboo, SonarQube and Artifactory.  I have been a JIRA and Confluence administrator for over 10 years.  On the other tools I have just about 2 years experience.  We have a 250 user license for service desk and our team members and customers like the ability to create and comment on issues via email.  We have about 7000 customers and over 2200 users on our Atlassian tool suite.  Several, non-service desk projects are using issue collectors to get issues via email as well.  For upgrades, we have extensively documented each upgrade (stored in confluence) so that we have a history of our upgrades and any gotchas along the way.

Like Laura Bier likes this
Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 31, 2017

Welcome Michael! Sounds like you have a lot of expertise, so you might be a good person to tackle some unanswered questions from our community in your spare time. You only have thousands of customers so I'm sure you have a ton of that. :)

Michael Mitchell August 31, 2017

Nice to meet you Michael.  I worked alongside many folks with CGI Federal during the development of the user interface for Healthcare.gov.  Also, my nephew works for y'all in Louisiana.

I'm looking forward to meeting you.

MM

Laura Bier February 13, 2020

Hi Michael.  I am a former CGI Federal member too! I'll be at the Summit this year.

Ron Coulter August 31, 2017

Hi, I'm Ron Coulter & I work for a contractor supporting the OCIO at NASA John H. Glenn Research Center in Cleveland. We're just getting our Confluence and JIRA environments stood up for a relatively small group of users. But we see Atlassian as a key tool for process improvement and maturity. Looking forward to the summit. Will be only my second time in California.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
August 31, 2017

Looking forward to meeting you, Ron! How long are you staying here and where else have you been in California? If you have time for a drive along the coast, I highly recommend it.

Portia B. Dischinger September 1, 2017

Hi Everyone,

I am Portia Dischinger, and I work for NASA in the Agency Application Office at Marshall Space Flight Center in Huntsville, AL.  I am the Product Lead for a suite of COTS tools, including Confluence Wiki and Jira. We have over 2000 Agency users and run in clustered mode (Data Center). Looking forward to the Government session, as we share common concerns and requirements.

Monique vdB
Community Manager
September 6, 2017

Hi Portia! I have a friend who works for NASA but she is an engineer. Something with rockets? Telescopes? Space? Pretty sure space is involved. 

Hope you have fun at Summit and find it useful -- will this be your first one?

Michael Mitchell September 18, 2017

Portia, I think we sat at the same table at the Government forum at Summit.  I'd like to keep in touch with you and better understand how NASA implemented Confluence and JIRA.  My email is michael.mitchell@hhs.gov.

Sonja Athing September 6, 2017

Hi Everyone,

My name is Sonja Athing and I work for a Defense Contractor in San Diego, CA.  I'm a software developer but also have responsibilities for process improvement.  To that end,  our division is currently adopting the Atlassian tool suite:  Jira, Confluence, Bitbucket, Bamboo, Crucible and Hipchat.  I've created workflows in Jira and have done some simple dryrun testing in a project sandbox but, I'm excited to learn how I can improve my knowledge using Jira and the other tools. 

One of the process challenges our groups will face is to allow a waterfall driven development to benefit from a Agile/Scrum/Sprint process.

See you next week at the Summit.

-Sonja

Like William Lu likes this
Bethany Stephenson September 7, 2017

Hello,

My name is Beth Stephenson and I work for the Montana Department of Transportation.  We have been using Jira for a few years now but we are also looking into fully implementing Confluence into our development environment.  Additionally, we have been researching Jira Service Desk as a possible replacement for our existing Service Desk tool with 2,000 users.  I am also interested in learning more about Jira Dashboards as a solution to other needs within my work area. 

Sounds like a lot to learn in only a few days but I'm looking forward to the Summit and getting out this wildfire smoke for a few days!

Beth 

Shayla Sander
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
March 26, 2019

Hi Bethany - I know this response is a year and a half after your original post. My name is Shayla Sander and I'm the new Channel Manager for Atlassian's State & Local Government space. Will you be attending Summit this year? 

Bethany Stephenson April 1, 2019

Hi Shayla - no I won't be attending this year but I have a co-worker who is attending.  He will be in the Jira workshop as well as attending the remainder of the summit.

Shayla Sander
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 1, 2019

Thanks for the response! If your co-worker is up for it, I'd love to set up a meeting to discuss how the State of Montana is currently leveraging out tools. I'm also hosting a Government and Public Sector lunch and learn if he'd like to attend. Please feel free to share my email (ssander@atlassian.com) if he'd like to schedule some time to meet up. 

Best,

Shayla

Sonja Athing April 1, 2019

Hi Shayla,

I'll be at Summit and would like to attend the Gov't/Public sector lunch and learn. 

I saw on line that 'pre-registration' is required.  Not sure where to do that. 

Can you please advise.

Thank you !

Sonja Athing

Connie Millington September 13, 2017

Hi! I am a program manager for a software dev directorate at USDA. Our project teams use many Atlassian products and add-ons for agile and devops. The tools have helped tremendously. We've started using Atlassian over 3 years ago and have grown and adjusted the tool sets since. Looking forward to networking on here to see what other gov agencies are doing.

William Shelton September 18, 2017

Hi there--

Long time govy/programmer/engineering mgr./architect, and Jira user.  Just posted a question here:  https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Jira-questions/Any-U-S-Government-agencies-interested-in-or-currently-using/qaq-p/641926#M210998

In short, I'm interested in speaking with any U.S. Federal agency about their use of Jira Cloud or what the blockers are/were to adoption. Feel free to ping me directly: william.shelton@cfpb.gov

Thanks!
-bill

Alex Sutherland January 16, 2018

Hi! I'm a Technical Architect focused primarily on Salesforce platform apps and architecture, but have used Atlassian products to track and automate the development lifecycle on many Salesforce projects over the years! I just entered the public sector/federal government contracting for the first time, and am advocating for a migration from on-premise Jira to Jira Cloud, BitBucket, and possibly Confluence Cloud. Does anyone know if Atlassian is pursuing FedRAMP certification for their cloud products? Getting Atlassian Cloud into the FedRAMP authorization process would make it a LOT easier to get it approved for use across the US government!

Larry Talley March 19, 2018

Hi everyone. I'm a programmer for NOAA Fisheries Service, under Department of Commerce. 

I'm involved in multiple Confluence/Jira pairings. We have instances internally here in Alaska Region. We participate in instances at our NOAA Fisheries HQ in Silver Spring Maryland. And we participate in inter-agency instances. 

I'm most deeply engaged in the instance inside our firewall here at Alaska Region., where I'm one of the Confluence and Jira administrators.

We use Confluence for a wide variety of system and process documentation. We use Jira for software development, and we also use it for case management for regulatory development and other complex processes. We also use Crucible and FishEye.

We've used Atlassian products for over ten years and we sometimes push the envelope to use them for unusual use cases. For example, we had a summer intern develop a very cool timeline plugin years ago -- but when the Calendar plugin came out, we gave up our custom plugin as we got much of the capability via the supported Calendar plugin.

We find the products very useful and we're always interested in how we can use them more effectively. We don't get to Atlassian Summit very often.

Morten Bjerregaard April 24, 2018

Hi, everyone.

My name is Morten Bjerregaard and I work in the Danish Ministry of Education, National Agency for IT and Learning.
I'm in a small team of 3 Atlassian administrators who handle our use of the following products: JIRA, Confluence, HipChat, Bitbucket, Crowed.

In addition, a member of AUG Copenhagen - where we are often hosts for events in this area.

We use JIRA for project management and supplier management. Confluence for internal documentation, team structure, and communication. As well as user communication with our many thousands of citizens and users. JIRA service desk for support management and Confluence to the knowledge database. We try to run KCS (Knowledge Center support), but it is work in progress.

Hipchat is upcoming with us and spread rapidly, even though we are pt. still in beta test.

We have bought a number of Aad-on*s as we spend a lot of effort. Zephyr, Refined Wiki, Gliffy, Scriptrunner, and others.

Our major challenges are Data Governance, user management, and we are required to use server versions - and cannot use cloud-based solutions. As well as all the changes to the EU's GDPR.

Feel free contact me :-) I would like to meet everyone who wants to share know-how and networking. Barcelona 2018 or here :-)

Fernando Bordallo
Atlassian Team
January 10, 2020

Hello everyone!

My name is Fernando Bordallo. I'm an Atlassian team lead, dedicated full-time to the improvement of the experiences around issue creating, interaction and flow. My main areas of interest lie in understanding how ideas come to life through collaboration, planning, and execution.

Thanks!

Marilo Meta May 13, 2020

Hi All, is great to be part of this amazing Community.

I'm Marilo Meta, living in Tirana, Albania, working at the Albanian Ministry of Finance as Intellectual Property Knowledge Management.

Looking forward to networking here to see what other gov agencies are doing.

Hasnain Haider May 18, 2020

Hello Everyone,

I'm Hasnain Haider, Living in DUBAI, UAE and working at Mohammed Bin Rashid Housing Establishment as Mobility Lead and Agile Coach. 

Looking toward business agility and government governance to move faster towards innovations. 

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events