Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Git revert to specific revision

Jaex October 6, 2013

I'm new to Git and trying to find how to revert to specific revision in SourceTree. I was using svn before and it was like this in svn: https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14076298/ShareX/2013/10/EsnebIR63J.png

Reverse commit doing nearly what i want in SourceTree but it is only for one revision and i want all revisions from HEAD to target revision like how it works in svn. I can do one by one reverse commit but i prefer to have all revert changes in one commit instead of 10 different commits for them. (Maybe be able to select multiple revisions and having reverse commit button clickable in menu would be good solution to what i want?)

Then i give up using gui for this and searched about commands and found this command:

git revert -n sha1..HEAD

It works perfectly and doing what i want. But i don't like to use commands so still keep tried to find solution in gui. And finally found this workaround:

https://dl.dropbox.com/u/14076298/ShareX/2013/10/1OKocrPrni.mp4

Hard reset to specific revision and after that soft reset to head revision. I'm not sure how it works but giving same results as "git revert -n sha1..HEAD" i think. Is it proper way to do what i want? Is there a better solution to this? I don't understand why right click menu of SourceTree don't have Revert to revision option.

4 answers

1 vote
alextretyak October 7, 2015

Checkout in git has many different forms, but mentioned "git checkout <commit> -- <filename>" does not move HEAD. (See detailed explanation here, and pay attention to the table at the end.)
To revert all files to specific revision use "git checkout <sha1> ." or "git checkout <sha1> \*".
So, if you want SourceTree UI do exactly that what "Revert to this revision" in TortoiseSVN does, just add this Custom Action to SourceTree for Windows:

Menu caption: Revert to this revision
Script to run: cmd
Parameters: /c %LOCALAPPDATA%\Atlassian\SourceTree\git_local\bin\git.exe checkout $SHA .

Or for Mac:

Script to run: git
Parameters: checkout $SHA .

After that you can simply use it like this:

screenshot2.png

Please note, that it will not commit automatically (just like "Revert to this revision" in TortoiseSVN).

adliss@deloitte.com September 18, 2018

Hey man, this works super well!  Just a quick note, for my particular use case I wanted to be able to checkout a specific file from a specific commit, but to do that all I had to do was change the Parameters to (on a Mac):

checkout $SHA -- $FILE

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 7, 2013

Oh I see, well, then try git reset. I hope that helps.

Jaex October 7, 2013

I told i want to use SourceTree ui for do what i want, I can already do it using revert command and i don't think reset is what i want.

0 votes
Jaex October 6, 2013

Checkout not creating reverse commit and also it moving HEAD to back but not MASTER to back therefore it not helps at all. And i don't want force push. I want reverse commit so history will be intact.

0 votes
MB
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
October 6, 2013

From your description, what appears is that you need git checkout instead of git revert. Try reading the documentation page for git revert and there is a line that says:

If you want to extract specific files as they were in another commit, you should see git-checkout(1), specifically the <tt>git checkout <commit> -- <filename></tt> syntax.

So, try using git checkout instead.

Jaex October 12, 2013

Checkout not creating reverse commit and also it moving HEAD to back but not MASTER to back therefore it not helps at all. And i don't want force push. I want reverse commit so history will be intact.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events