Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can Stash manage my local Git repositories?

Joao Correia November 14, 2013

I am about to start an evaluation of Stash but before I do, I wanted to know if it has the capability to help me report on my local repositories. So, for example, if we set up a number of repositories in Git and we then "pull" these to our development servers locally.

Can I use Stash to connct to my development server (which is a Linux server) and:

1. List all my local repositories managed by Stash

2. Let me know the status of each, together with which files are ahead or behind the central respository

3. Allow me, from Stash, to update my local repository and switch branches.

Usually a good IDE would help - but I have non-developers creating code in Python and I need a very east to use interface for them to manage their code and each feature branch. I want to protect them from the complexities of Git and the command line. Stash looks fine to manage the central repos but I also need help with all the local ones too.

Thanks.

Paul

2 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Michael Heemskerk
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2013

Hi Joao,

Stash is typically used as a central repository manager. Say you're working with a number of developers on a repository. The Stash managed repository would be the central repository that everyone pushes to when their work is ready for review or integration. As such, Stash won't manage your local repositories.

For an easy to use tool for managing your local repositories, I'd suggest having a look at SourceTree: http://www.sourcetreeapp.com/. It integrates well with Stash, BitBucket and many different repository hosting tools and provides all the features you listed on your 'wish list'.

Cheers,

Michael

0 votes
Joao Correia November 14, 2013

Thanks for the quick response - and, yes, the SourceTree App looks ideal. However, it says it's for Windows and Mac. Do you happen to know if it works for Linux? That's where our source code resides and where we do our development.

Thanks

Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2013

Joao: There is currently not a version of SourceTree for Linux. There are a lot of GUIs for Linux though.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events