cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Internationalization and form languages

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 14, 2022

Hi Forms Group! 

There have been a number of questions about using forms in multiple languages. I'd like to bring that discussion here to make it easy to follow along. 

Here's a form language use case that may apply to you:

We have 20 service desks in 8 countries requiring 10+ languages

Right now there are a few options for creating forms in multiple languages. The rich text editor allows you to write your forms in any language you choose -- including all questions, descriptions, and answers.

You may also select a language for your validation messages. However, you can only set one language setting per form. If you need a multi-lingual form you can:

• Create multiple versions of your form in each of the target languages.

• Create a choice question at the top of your form with the target languages. Then create conditional sections which include all of the form questions in each of the language options. Note that you will still need to choose only one language for the error and validation messages.

Request Types and multiple languages

Request Types allow you to add multiple translations for each field you configure there. This is not the same as the new form builder. To access this setting, go to Project Settings > Language Support. You can find the documentation is here.

Do you find this feature useful? Would it be something you would like forms to replicate?

Comment below to join the conversation 👇👇👇

2 comments

Comment

Taranjeet Singh
Community Leader
Community Leader
Community Leaders are connectors, ambassadors, and mentors. On the online community, they serve as thought leaders, product experts, and moderators.
March 15, 2022

@Peter Preston I think multi-language support is very important for Service Desks that cater to the customers located in different countries and speaking different languages.

If the same multiple translations feature can be implemented into Forms as well, it will be very useful for Jira Service Management customers.

Like Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
March 15, 2022

Agreed @Taranjeet Singh 

Very happy to have this discussion here so the product team can learn what's important and why. 

Vas Baskar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2023

Hi @Taranjeet Singh,

My name is Vas and I’m part of the Jira Service Management team.
I am happy to inform you that we are working on creating 'Multi-lingual Support' for Forms within Jira Service Management. Hence will be conducting some research sessions to gather feedback on this new feature. 

As a thank you for participating in the research, you'll receive a $100USD e-gift voucher. 

Click here to register your interest

Please complete the form and select a time in the next fortnight to join a 1-to-1 research session via Zoom. 

Your feedback is incredibly valuable and will have a very real impact on the decisions we make when building this feature.

Thank you,
Vas

Email: vbaskar@atlassian.com

Like Christopher O_ CBC likes this
Hsiang June 13, 2022

@Peter Preston Does Internationalization and form languages applied to JSM as well? I would like to proceed with the option you provided:

• Create multiple versions of your form in each of the target languages.

But I see that no where in JSM's form settings, for now, each form can only attached to one request. There's no way to set the language of this form.

Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2022

@Hsiang you're right. At the moment it's one form to one request. We touch on internationalization under the "Multi-lingual support" section of this page:

https://community.atlassian.com/t5/Forms-Articles/Answering-the-June-2022-Forms-AMA/ba-p/2052987

Like # people like this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2022

Hi again @Hsiang 👋

Here's a ticket you can follow https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/JSDCLOUD-11018

Like # people like this
Hsiang June 14, 2022

Hi @Peter Preston , thanks a lot! I've upvoted and I guess there's no workaround not unless I create separate projects and request type per language, but it's definitely not an efficient way of doing it, specially managing requests and customers.

Like Peter Preston likes this
Peter Preston
Rising Star
Rising Star
June 14, 2022

I hear you @Hsiang :) We hear you. I wish I had a better workaround for you right now. It is something we discuss often. Thanks for understanding and for your feedback. Keep it coming!

Like Hsiang likes this
Vas Baskar
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
October 24, 2023

Hi @Hsiang ,

My name is Vas and I’m part of the Jira Service Management team.
I am happy to inform you that we are working on creating 'Multi-lingual Support' for Forms within Jira Service Management. Hence will be conducting some research sessions to gather feedback on this new feature. 

As a thank you for participating in the research, you'll receive a $100USD e-gift voucher. 

Click here to register your interest

Please complete the form and select a time in the next fortnight to join a 1-to-1 research session via Zoom. 

Your feedback is incredibly valuable and will have a very real impact on the decisions we make when building this feature.

Thank you,
Vas

Email: vbaskar@atlassian.com

Like Manon Mackey likes this
TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events