Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Scaling Fisheye/Crucible for a larger environment

Russell H January 1, 2013

We currently host multiple SCM instances on different networks and we are looking at moving all these into one big enterprise class SCM system. One of our problems is that the smaller SCM instances include Fisheye/Crucible.

We currently have performance issues sometimes on the smaller instances when people try and do large code reviews and it can adversely affect Jira which is linked. This could have severe consquences if the entire site was using one big system.

Is there any known way of load-balancing and mirroring Fisheye and Crucible?

The other question I have is, is there currently a known way of performing single project migrates from Fisheye/Crucible into another instance?

Thanks,

Russell

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
Daniel R
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 1, 2013

Hello Russell,

We've made some recent improvements in the way FishEye/Crucible interacts with JIRA (FishEye/Crucible version 2.9 and the latest JIRA FishEye/Crucible plugin) so I'd like to know what versions of the products you are using in regard to your performance issues. Unfortunately, we don't currently have a method to load balance or mirror a FishEye/Crucible instance. Perhaps one of our experts can help in this area. Please open a support ticket in our private JIRA instance at support.atlassian.com if you'd like me to assist in finding you a partner. Lastly, you can move repositories from one instance to another but you can't yet move projects -- the feature request is here:

https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/CRUC-681

In order to move repositories, look for this heading "How to Re-Index a Single Repository on a Test Server" on this page.

Thank you,

Daniel

Russell H January 2, 2013

Thanks Daniel,

I thought that was the case, I just wanted to check.

I'll raise a ticket with Atlassian Support to see if anyone can point me in the right direction.

I've voted for that feature request for single project migrate. In the meantime, I'll start writing a script to interact the APIs and see if it can be done...

Cheers,

Russell

Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 11, 2013

Russell, please share your findings, if you don't mind.

If API way doesn't pan out, I'm thinking of doing it on lower level (altering the database itself).

Russell H January 20, 2013

@s2s:

No worries, will report back any info I get back from Atlassian on my support ticket for this one.

The problem we have is that even if we manage to get a single project migration working by using scripted API calls then we have the problem that this probably wouldn't be supported by Atlassian if anything went wrong. We really need the functionality to be supported since we run an enterprise SCM system.

Anyway, we'll have a go at scripting a crucible project migrate with APIs in the meantime just to see if it can be done...!

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
January 20, 2013

Could you not just copy the entire database, then delete everything you didn't want from it using the web UI. At least this will take you down a "supported" path... I don't believe there is anything in the published API that will allow you to successfully migrate a crucible project with all reviews...

Thanks for your comment Jamie. Unfortunately, we cannot do this because we have more than one instance that we are migrating projects from.

In total we have 6 instances of Crucible/Fisheye/Jira/SVN that we want to consolidate into one. We want to migrate one project at a time to make the migration process as simple as possible.

We have already managed to do a scripted single project migrate with all dependent entities (reviews etc) using a combination of APIs with a hefty perl script in an older version of Crucible. I have no doubt we could probably make it work on the newer version.

I guess my point is that it's about time that this was included in Crucible as standard functionality.

JamieA
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2013

Fair enough. I would check if possible that one instance can handle it. I cannot make one instance of fisheye/crucible cope with the amount of repos and projects we have. 2.9 seems to have a memory or resource leak where it needs restarting every two days.

hmmm, that memory leak issue sounds ominous! I haven't tried 2.9 yet... I've found that it seems to be the size of individual commits/reviews that affects Fisheye/Crucible rather than the amount. If the java heap isn't optimized it can really crash out on scanning.

Sergey Svishchev
Rising Star
Rising Star
January 20, 2013

There's a problem with InfinityDB cache (its size is not capped and may exhaust heap of any size) --https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/FE-4427

There's a workaround (turns the cache off), but it causes a 10-15% performance hit at indexing time at least.

Russell H January 21, 2013

Sigh, it seems like with every new version there are new bugs...! Thanks for pointing that out, it's useful to know.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events