Migrating Jira\Fisheye to different server

shabbaranks January 1, 2014

Hi,

Im currently playing catchup for reasons I wont bore you with. We currently have Fisheye v2.7.8 and Jira v6.1.2 running and I want to migrate them to a different server updating our Fisheye environment.

As internally managed repositories are no longer supported within Fisheye and this is what we have I will have to make the additional step of including a migration to stash. And was hoping that someone could look at my migration plan to let me know if its the best way to go about it.

Just to make things difficult the Fisheye DB was never migrated to mysql and is currently running on the internal DB.

So my plan is to install Jira (latest version) on the new server and run a backup and restore from the old to new server.

Install the same version of Fisheye on the new server and migrate the data across from the old server. Once copied convert the database to mysql.

Once I have copied migrated the database to mysql I will then need to update Fisheye to the latest version and then migrate the repositores to stash.

How does this sound?

4 answers

0 votes
shabbaranks January 12, 2014

Managed to fully migrate the repositories, one of my problems was that I was using the latest version of Git which would error stating unknown directory or incorrect username. I downgraded this version to 1.8.4 and then migrated with out any errors.

0 votes
shabbaranks January 12, 2014

Managed to fully migrate the repositories, one of my problems was that I was using the latest version of Git which would error stating unknown directory or incorrect username. I downgraded this version to 1.8.4 and then migrated with out any errors.

Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 13, 2014

Glad to hear the migration is now complete.

Which version of git were you using that had problems ? We will investigate.

shabbaranks January 13, 2014

Hi Nick,

Using version 1.8.5 caused problems as it seems to want to push\pull using ssh I uninstalled that and installed 1.8.4

0 votes
shabbaranks January 8, 2014

Hi Nick,

Apologies for the delayed reposnse but Ive managed to get the it working - I say working its 90% there. All the projects have migrated across to standard projects. Ive installed Stash and its configured and working.

All Im left to do is migrate the standard fisheye repositories to Stash, which I am about to test. Will let you know - thanks :)

0 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
January 2, 2014

Your plan sounds pretty sound.

When you migrate the data across from the old FishEye server, to the new one, you should be able to get away with copying everything in your FISHEYE_INST directory. Leave the FISHEYE_INST on the old box in situ, and that will serve as your data backup for the upgrade too.

When you copy the FISHEYE_INST directory however, be sure that your fisheye server is completely shutdown before you start to take the copy. The alternative is to take a full backup (including all caches) and restore that on the new server.

shabbaranks January 2, 2014

Thanks Nick,

Ive noticed within the config.xml in FISHEYE_INST that it refers to the git executable located on the server. Will this effect the migration if for now I ignore it and just make sure that this config file points to the migrated repositories on this server?

Thanks again

Nick
Atlassian Team
January 5, 2014

Yes indeed - any local paths mentioned in config.xml will need to be updated to the new locations on the new server.

shabbaranks January 5, 2014

Ok great Ive added it and am currently migrating as we speak (type). I've noticed whilst the upgrade is taking place that Im getting a lot of

....\XYZ.git does not appear to be a git repository, fatal: could not read from remote repository. Please make sure you have the correct access rights and the repository exists. - Cloning into bare repository 'clone'

I know it exists because I put it there but am I correct in thinking its still cloning the repository? Thanks

Nick
Atlassian Team
January 6, 2014

I would need more context around that error to determine the root cause.

Does the full path to ...\XYZ.git exist on your new server ?

Has it progressed beyond that error now ?

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events