Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

How can I get Crucible to display .rc2 files in changesets as text (rather than no content)?

Ruth November 14, 2014

We've noticed that when .rc2 files are included in the revision, nothing is displayed in the code review in Crucible, but it could just be displayed as a text file. Is it possible to change some setting to get it to show up?

1 answer

1 accepted

0 votes
Answer accepted
lpater
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 14, 2014

Hi Ruth,

Whether a file is considered binary or not, depends mostly on the SCM being used. The SCMs in turn usually determine this based on presence of non-printable characters in the file.

For SVN this depends on the "svn:mime-type" property of the file. Anything starting with 'text/' will be considered text. You can modify the default mime/types for files by extension, by editing the raw-mime.types file (see this knowledge base article).

Ruth November 14, 2014

Thanks for that tip! I will give it a try.

Ruth November 16, 2014

Ok, I found and edited that file appending 'rc rc2' on the end of the list of text/plain, restarted Crucible, but I still don't see it as text.

lpater
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
November 17, 2014

Are you using SVN? The binary-ness determination is done at indexing time - you might need to reindex the repository.

Ruth November 17, 2014

I'm using Git, I was hoping not to have to reindex (I avoid doing that at all costs because our repos are massive). I'll give it a shot sometime though, you're probably right that it needs to be done to see the change.

lpater
Atlassian Team
November 17, 2014

The setting I've mentioned above is only relevant for SVN, so no need to reindex. For git we determine whether the file is binary based on the results of the 'git diff' command. If git diff shows the file as binary, we consider it binary. You might be able to override git's diff behavior for files with specific extensions by creating a gitattributes file - see https://www.kernel.org/pub/software/scm/git/docs/gitattributes.html

Ruth November 17, 2014

My apologies - I was totally blowing over that and thought this was just a solution on the Crucible side of things. Thanks again - I'll check out those links you provided.

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events