Create
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Corrupt svn dump file

Thomas Vervest February 13, 2013

I am trying to migrate our account to GIT, and ran into a rather obnoxious issue... Following the migration guide, I've created a svn dump (svn.dump.gz) and downloaded it, however I am unable to unpack this file, as gunzip exits stating

gzip: svn.dump.gz: unexpected end of file

Downloading the file again results in the same message and re-generating the file is prohibited by a rate limit of one backup per 48 hours.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

5 answers

1 accepted

1 vote
Answer accepted
Thomas Vervest February 25, 2013

Bastiaan Jansen (Atlassian support) informed me that "the cause for the errors of the archive files is a known bug [https://jira.atlassian.com/browse/AOD-5975] in the OnDemand environment. After 1gb the file download stops, this leaves a incomplete file on your machine." Downloading the file using the supplied download script solved the issue.

1 vote
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
February 21, 2013

Hi Thomas,

This looks like that there may be some corruption on the transfer process or maybe on the OnDemand side, please create a Support Ticket to assist you with the migration of the SVN repository.

They can provide you with checksum hashs for the files so we can find out what/where the corruption is.

Cheers,
Felipe Cuozzo
Atlassian OnDemand

1 vote
LucasA
Rising Star
Rising Star
Rising Stars are recognized for providing high-quality answers to other users. Rising Stars receive a certificate of achievement and are on the path to becoming Community Leaders.
February 14, 2013

Hi Thomas,

Unfortunately you'll ned to recreate the SVN dump. If it's too big you can try to create the dump file only for a revision interval. The command will be something like:

svnadmin dump /path/to/your/repository -r0:100 | gzip > dump-revision-0-to-100.gz

Restore it as usual:

zcat dump-revision-0-to-100.gz | svnadmin load /path/to/your/repository

Best regards,
Lucas Timm

0 votes
Mehdi Ahmadi April 3, 2013

I can confirm that the direct download approach via: FishEye > Backup manager incurs serious issues particularly where there may be intermittency or interruption to / from:

https://appical.atlassian.net/webdav/backupmanager/

Several attempts were made in-browser (and using different browsers) and in every case no more than 1.1Gb could be download.

A download manager (eg DownThemAll) resolved the issue - beyond 1.1Gb limit (also offers resume functionality for interrupted / partial downloads).

0 votes
Mehdi Ahmadi April 3, 2013

Hi there Felipe & Lucas,

I am continuing / re-attempting the migration process from where Thomas left off.

I am undergoing your outlined steps / procedures as per :
http://go-dvcs.atlassian.com/display/aod/Migrating+from+Subversion+to+Git+on+Bitbucket

& using the latest svn-migration-scripts.jar (2013-03-18).

Currently I am @ step: 2)-1b:

Download the Subversion dump file. This dump file includes all the projects in your Subversion repository.

Download speeds however are no greater than 160 Kb/sec - which is taking awfully long for our 2.0Gb SVN Dump. Are there any alternative methods of access that may accommodate for faster downloads?

PS - 3 differnt ISP's, Lines & Locations were used to test speeds (which were unaffected).

Many thanks -

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events