Connecting to Git Repo from Fisheye

Sivaz December 29, 2013

Hi,

While trying to add an existing git repo, the connection to the repo fails if we have special characters in the password (especially @ symbol) when using Authentication style as "Password for http(s)". The returned error code is 401.

The connection works fine if the password has no special characters.

Any help on this behaviour and how it can be resolved?

TIA

6 answers

0 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 9, 2014

If you are using Stash, the upcoming release of FishEye (3.4) will make the following process a single-click operation once you have an Application Link established between FishEye and Stash.

However, until then - you must:

* In FishEye

** when adding a new Git repository select: "Generate key/pair for SSH"

** Generate

** Copy the public key shown to your clipboard

* In Stash

** Go to: Manage account

** SSH Keys

** Add Key

** Paste in the key you just copied and save.

Then go back to FishEye and hit "Test connection".

Now, fisheye will be able to fetch and clone the repository in Stash via SSH and their will be no need for you to embedd any passwords in the URL.

0 votes
SHIVENDRA April 8, 2014

Stash

0 votes
SHIVENDRA April 7, 2014

Can you tell me how to do that . I am new to GIT

Nick
Atlassian Team
Atlassian Team members are employees working across the company in a wide variety of roles.
April 8, 2014

Where is your git repository hosted ?

* Stash,

* Bitbucket,

* Github

* elsewhere ?

0 votes
Nick
Atlassian Team
April 7, 2014

It is best practice not to embedd the password in your URL when connecting to a git repo from FishEye.

Is there any reason you can't use the SSH protocol and exchange public keys ?

0 votes
SHIVENDRA April 7, 2014

Even i am facing same issue . i am abel to connect using my account but not with generic account havin @ in pasword

0 votes
Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
December 31, 2013

Try encoding the @ symbol in your password with %40. So if your password is 'P@ssword', it would become 'P%40ssword'.

That should be a safe way to encode the @ symbol in the URL that's being used.

Sivaz January 19, 2014

Well that didnt help either :( . We got the same error when we tried that way. For now, we have created a dummy user that doesnt have such characters in its password, but the problem is still open.

Jeff Thomas
Atlassian Team
January 20, 2014

I just created a user in our Stash instance with a password of "stash@user" and connected Fisheye to that repository using the password without any issues. Which version of Fisheye are you using and where is the repository that you're trying to connect to hosted?

Sivaz April 14, 2014

Our setup is rather simple. We have GIT installed on the same server as where the Fisheye is installed.

Trying to add a new repo and providing a password with @ symbol still doesnt work. Returns a 401. The username and password are correct. And it works when we give a username and password that doesnt have @. Our Fisheye is at 3.1.5

Suggest an answer

TAGS
AUG Leaders

Atlassian Community Events